General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:23 PM

HHR Problems

I am so glad we HHR owners finally have a place to go to that is filled with knowledgeable people and the best part is that it is free. I purchased my HHR in August and at first I was in love with it. I bought a Black 2lt model with chrome package. The car has everything you can put in it except, roof rails and a rear spoiler. After taking the car on a 1000 mile round trip drive, less than an hour into the trip my back was killing me. It seemed to be caused by too much lumbar, even though the lumbar was deflated all the way. Also the driver side seat would make these clicking sounds every now and then while driving. I also noticed that the car was extremely loud and I had trouble hearing my girl friend that was sitting right next to me. It sounded as if my sunroof and windows were open, even though there were closed. Some whistling noise was caused by the driver side mirror (I have heard about this happening) Are any of these things normal or is it just my HHR. Before buying the HHR I read many posts about how quiet and comfortable this car was. Something else I noticed was that when opening a back window while on the freeway the whole car vibrates and your eardrums hurt. Is this normal? Just yesterday I plugged in my new navigation system into the 12volt charger located next the stereo and when I pulled it out, the whole thing almost came out with it. Now the 12-volt plug is loose. I took my HHR to the dealer when I got back and they ordered a new mirror for me (this one makes the same noise) and said that the sunroof had an air leak but it’s a design flaw and they cant do much about it. Everything else they said was normal, the wind noise and driver side seat. What I wanted to now, was what were they comparing the car to, a semi? I don’t want anyone to get the wrong impression, other than these things I love the car. It drives great and gets good gas mileage. It would just be nice to know if others are having these problems. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:32 PM

"I also noticed that the car was extremely loud and I had trouble hearing my girl friend that was sitting right next to me."

Are you sure you're not a PT Cruiser owner just trying to stir things up?
(just joking!)

I've owned nearly 50 vehicles in my lifetime and the HHR is by far the quietest. It's actually much smoother and quieter than the 06 Honda Accord I just bought my wife!

Seriously, after reading your entire post, I would start working with your dealer closely to have these issues addressed. Be sure to document all your conversations - in case you need to excercise the "lemon law." There is no way you should have so many problems with a brand new vehicle. If they can't fix everything to your satisfaction - GM should give you another HHR.

The seat noise is totally unacceptable - as well as many of the other things you mentioned. Every company occasionally turns out a defective product, and it sounds like you have some valid complaints. Best of luck getting things resolved...this is the first complaint I've heard here with so many problems at once.

Keep us posted...
-Mike
Old 11-03-2005, 03:22 PM

Other then a clicking noise after I turn the car off, which other's said was normal I had no issues with the car. My sunroof does not make any noises. Car is very quite.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Other then a clicking noise after I turn the car off, which other's said was normal I had no issues with the car. My sunroof does not make any noises. Car is very quite.
The clicking noise is common for new exhaust systems.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:00 PM

"The clicking noise is common for new exhaust systems."

Yes, generally this is caused by an exhaust heat shield, which is usually made out of a thin material. As the material rapidly cools down after stopping the engine, it tends to contract quickly and sometimes unevenly, causing "tings" and "clicks."

Hope this helps you to understand that it is completely normal.
-Mike
Old 11-03-2005, 06:40 PM

I have to laugh, I told Lady Fenris the same thing and she was like "No Way" there is something terribly wrong with your car! I am glad you explained it so well, sometimes she thinks I just make stuff up. Mucho Appreciato!

Fenris...
Old 11-03-2005, 06:45 PM

As long as it helps our fellow drivers, then a job well done
Old 11-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Maybe I'm wrong and the engine is cracking from heat!

Look out!

-Mike
Old 11-04-2005, 12:16 AM

I thank everyone who has replyed to my thread. Some have said that the clicking sounds could be caused by the exhaust or other things. My problem is the driver side seat. For some reason it clicks every now and then while driving. Do you guys think I should take it to another dealer and see what they come up with regarding my issues? If I do, would they check the computer to see if its been in for repairs and if so would they even bother to check it? Thank's in advance.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:40 AM

Hi BHHR, actually we were referring to another reference of "clicking" some other members had. Theirs was attributed to engine cool-down noise.

Your seat clicking should be rectified by YOUR dealer, not another one. Chevy dealers rely HEAVILY on getting good scores from their new car sales suveys - have you filled yours out yet? If not, that might be a good bargaining chip to use with your dealer. (*Dealers get fined by GM for poor report cards - really!)

I would stand firn until they correct all your problems. That is their responsibility. Who knows, you just might have got a "lemon" (not wishing any of that your way!). Either way, the dealer needs to make things right to satisfy you - not "take the money and run."

Keep us posted on your progress,
-Mike

Quick Reply: HHR Problems