South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Castle Air Museum/Nor-Cal HHR Club Open C o c k pit May 24, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
How to get onto the grounds

Here's a map on how to get to the B-52

Just a reminder, bring lots of water, sunscreen and food. There will be vendors onsite, but if you want something other than tri-tip sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, etc, bring sandwiches!

Last edited by Nor-Cal HHR Club; 05-08-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:52 PM

One more week to go
Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Enjoy the Day and Take "LOTZ" of Pic's !
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Cool So, what is the latest on the roll-call for Sunday?

I'll be driving to Merced on Saturday. I'll be looking for a car wash once I check in to the Quality Inn on V St. I just did a quick wash at one of those do it yourself wash places. When I was done I noticed that the towel I used to dry the car left swirls all over the place and scratches. Not to mention door and hood dings. Any comments on the detail shops in town? I noticed a couple on around 14th and G and at the mall.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
I'm not familiar with the shops around Merced, but I do have some good detailer I'll bring if you don't find one.

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
I'll be driving to Merced on Saturday. I'll be looking for a car wash once I check in to the Quality Inn on V St. I just did a quick wash at one of those do it yourself wash places. When I was done I noticed that the towel I used to dry the car left swirls all over the place and scratches. Not to mention door and hood dings. Any comments on the detail shops in town? I noticed a couple on around 14th and G and at the mall.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Wink Sittin' in my room,

in the Quality Inn in Merced.
Went looking for car wash/detail places. Only found one open and he was swamped with work, and his one guy that does hand waxing has the day off. It seems he is the only place in town open, other than the do-it-yourself places. He didn't want to have one of his non skilled guys try to wax my car. I didn't try the Mall though.
Anyways, I'm driving around town and spot this Silver SS panel in one of the DIY places and pull in and talk with the guy. He works at Castle and didn't hear anything about this little g2g we got going on. He didn't know about this forum either. He said he might stop by though. I didn't bring along any of my SoCal business cards either.
So, I wound up doing a wet rag wipe on my car. Can't make the swirls any worse. Mostly just concentrated on the bugs.
Wow, 250 miles. I got 29.7 mpg with an average speed of 67mph.
Only had to get around one pile up just south of Fresno. There were at least 6 vehicles involved. There was a Tahoe (I believe) sitting on it's top and people being tended to, ambulances and cops all over it.
I need to track back a couple of posts, we need to be in place before 7:30 in the am? Not to mention hanging around until 4:30 in the pm?
As long as we can walk around and take in the sights, I'm already there. Just got to get up around 6 am, that's all. Me, a guy that works nights and usually don't get to bed until 4 am.
I have my placard. I got some reading material. Got a folding chair. Got some drinks. Got sunscreen. Got my camera, (note to self; take lots of pics).
Old 05-23-2009, 06:45 PM

I'll be leaving Fresno at 5am. Gonna stop off at AM-PM and get some ice and pack the cooler. Hopefully I will be on 99 at 5:30am. It usually takes me 90 minutes to get to Castle.... 60 minutes without my wife, and the CHP.

I'm bringing my Meguiar's detailing kit, you may be able to use it to take out the swirls.

I washed the car when I came off work this morning at 8:30am. Waxed it, polished the tires and cleaned the wheels when I got home.

I know quite a few people who work and volunteer at Castle, but I didn't know one that had a Silver SS Panel.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people tomorrow.

See ya then!

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
in the Quality Inn in Merced.
Went looking for car wash/detail places. Only found one open and he was swamped with work, and his one guy that does hand waxing has the day off. It seems he is the only place in town open, other than the do-it-yourself places. He didn't want to have one of his non skilled guys try to wax my car. I didn't try the Mall though.
Anyways, I'm driving around town and spot this Silver SS panel in one of the DIY places and pull in and talk with the guy. He works at Castle and didn't hear anything about this little g2g we got going on. He didn't know about this forum either. He said he might stop by though. I didn't bring along any of my SoCal business cards either.
So, I wound up doing a wet rag wipe on my car. Can't make the swirls any worse. Mostly just concentrated on the bugs.
Wow, 250 miles. I got 29.7 mpg with an average speed of 67mph.
Only had to get around one pile up just south of Fresno. There were at least 6 vehicles involved. There was a Tahoe (I believe) sitting on it's top and people being tended to, ambulances and cops all over it.
I need to track back a couple of posts, we need to be in place before 7:30 in the am? Not to mention hanging around until 4:30 in the pm?
As long as we can walk around and take in the sights, I'm already there. Just got to get up around 6 am, that's all. Me, a guy that works nights and usually don't get to bed until 4 am.
I have my placard. I got some reading material. Got a folding chair. Got some drinks. Got sunscreen. Got my camera, (note to self; take lots of pics).
Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 PM

Just got done with a long day at work and came home and washed the car. Don't know if I'll have time to detail it. Might have to do that in the morning at Castle while getting rid of those pesky central valley bugs . And yes Kevin it will be a LONG DRIVE by myself..... Guess I'll just have to turn up the tunes and cruize....
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM

Bad news fellas. After getting the turbo upgrade kit installed on my SS this past Tuesday, my car is now plagued with a drivability problem that takes it off the road until it goes back to the dealer on Wednesday for a computer reflash. I'm just too nervous to attempt the six hour round trip not knowing what may be haywire next.

I'm still coming over in my other car (any room for a Mustang Bullitt?) but will now be there later in the morning and I'll stop by to try and meet you all. Talk about bummed out........
Old 05-24-2009, 06:21 AM

Oh my its early...packed and ready. Just need to stop for coffee. Mike it will be nice to meet you, come on over.

Quick Reply: Castle Air Museum/Nor-Cal HHR Club Open C o c k pit May 24, 2009