South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Coastline HHR's So-Cal

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by playgames1970
No Halloween for me today...after getting out o' the high school job, I have to teach my two college classes tonight, too! I won't get home until 9pm or so. No Great Pumpkin!
What do you teach and where? I work at UC and am in the midst of writing what seems like 5 letters of recommendation for my students today--of course they are all needed by yesterday! I'm trying to get my own for the doctoral programs I'm applying to--wish they would write mine! :)

I'll probably be late here on campus too--wish I could go Saturday.

I like the stickers, but would like a smaller sized one if possible!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:20 PM

The high school job is at a private high school; the college job is at Cal State Univeristy, Pomona. I'd like to get the ol' PhD, but financially and timewise I doubt it'll ever happen. Oh, well.

As far as stickers go in general, a regular sticker will never make its way onto the HHR's paint or glass. I might be convinced to do one of those removable cling things for the glass, but even those eventually cause problems. My '02 Cavalier has a Mark & Brian KLOS static in the back window that has baked itself irrevokably onto the rear window. (Those of you in southern CA will know who/what Mark & Brian and KLOS are.)
Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 PM

Cal Poly-cool. I have the Masters and really don't need the doctorate, but what the heck...they are only 3 year program's and evening/weekend classes so no missing work.

I prefer a static decal myself...I have an old Beatles one I got in Liverpool over 20 years ago that has gone from the GEO Metro, to the S10 and is now on Blackie (side window). Luckily it never baked into the glass!

I think M&B were around when I was up north for school/work...i crank up Kevin & Bean most mornings now...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 PM

I'd like the PhD just for personal reasons, mainly. I feel unfinished, but can't afford any of the places around here that have doctoral programs in English. Oh, well...going to classes and writing papers and having a piece of paper on your wall doesn't make you smart, anyway. Some of the STUPIDEST people in the world are doctors (MD, PhD, and otherwise)!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Founding Member

My son Kiddo says that 90% of being smart is knowing what your dumb at!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by playgames1970
I'd like the PhD just for personal reasons, mainly. I feel unfinished, but can't afford any of the places around here that have doctoral programs in English. Oh, well...going to classes and writing papers and having a piece of paper on your wall doesn't make you smart, anyway. Some of the STUPIDEST people in the world are doctors (MD, PhD, and otherwise)!
Couldn't agree with you more! And you have great taste in cars!

I am a counselor not an academic (although I teach classes). But I too feel unfinished. The Ed.D is just for personal reasons.

I love my work!
(HHR count today: HIGH!!! 5!)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Uma

Sindy, your Kiddo is 100% right. That is what makes him smart! You talk about the things you know, and listen to the things you don't. It is that simple, and more importantly when you know that you are smarter or more educated than someone else you never let them know that. Kinda makes them feel bad. Luckily for me, I am a dumbass, and just take things in stride. I try to give subtle hints, but it rarely works. See you soon, Todd (Uma)
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 PM

Education is handy, but it doesn't give you character and it doesn't guarantee anything. Bet I got you all beat at one thing tho... I have been admitted to and started 5 Master's programs... follow through was never my strong point
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Uma

You always know what to say!! I will see you soon!! Todd (Uma)
Old 11-01-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by mitzkity
Education is handy, but it doesn't give you character and it doesn't guarantee anything. Bet I got you all beat at one thing tho... I have been admitted to and started 5 Master's programs... follow through was never my strong point
The hardest degree for me to win was actually my lowly A.A. in the impressive field of "Liberal Arts." It took me four years of school to get that one, which should have been done in a mere two. I was living on my own, earning slightly over minimum wage, and getting no parental support, though, so it's a small wonder I juggled things around enough to even be able to do it. After that the B.A. was comparatively easier, as by then it was mostly just courses in my major: English. The M.A. was actually the easiest of the three, since it was ALL English stuff, which was easy to get through. The finances were/are another matter, though; ten years later, I've still got a rather huge debt racked up from putting myself through school that I'm having trouble reducing (obviously!).

As a result of this, though, even though it's a pretty much meaningless degree, I still list that petty A.A. on my resume. It was the toughest one to attain, dang it!