South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Coastline HHR's So-Cal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Yep, 7 years of night school, working full-time to help support my family for that AA. For my B.A.'s, worked 2 jobs to support myself and still send money home to my parents. At 35, I was the first in my family to graduate from college. M.S. was the same-working full time, school full time, paying my own way, sending money home...etc.

I feel it was common sense and hard work that have allowed many of us to accomplish what we have and I think because of that, we appreciate it more.

Never think of myself as being any smarter then anyone else--in fact I feel the opposite! So apologies if I come off that way I see everyday as an opportunity to learn about what I don't know..

I'll be dead before I pay off my loans, but at least I pay it!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:21 PM

What killed it once and for all for me was when I started working at the university, I had to share an office with a girl who had graduated with me, and was also a brand new part timer. She INSISTED every student of hers refer to her as "professor." I could hardly believe it...she was in her mid-twenties, had a mere M.A., and no experience in teaching, and would correct any student who called her "Miss" instead of "professor." By contrast, this one PROFESSOR who I had for several classes who is probably the smartest human being I've run across, always simply called himself "Mr." on his materials and asked people to call him that rather than "Dr." or "professor." I respected that, and it raised my estimation of him considerably. I don't correct any of my college students who call me "professor" when they talk to me, but I do cross out the title if they put it on their papers, and I use no title at all on my own materials; I just put my name down.

On the other hand, though, I once at the high school job had a medical doctor come in to my room on "career day" for presentation, and nearly half of his talk was him explaining why only medical doctors should be called by the title "Dr." I didn't like that, either. Paradoxical, aren't I?

Wow...how did I steer this thread into this from casual mention of an apostrophe on a potential window sticker? Apologies for that! HHR! HHR!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree we are off track, but it's kinda interesting to learn more about each other. I am pretty jaded as my hubby makes 4 times as much as I would have ever made with his "lowly AA", and those with Real Estate licenses in previous years around here - blew us all away if they were diligent.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Well, how smart can I be? I majored in English, which is just about the least marketable/profitable degree there is. I guess maybe a philosophy degree might be lower on the totem pole of marketability, but not by much. I don't work two jobs because I like to have fourteen hour work days, let's put it that way.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Uma

Angelita, I did not mean to offend you or make you feel bad in any way. Maybe just a little jealous, LOL. I guess I never asserted myself, became too enamored with women, cars and partying! Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish I owed my ass off for student loans instead of credit cards. I am truly sorry if I offended. Todd (Uma)
Old 11-02-2007, 07:09 PM

No offence taken Todd. I need reminders not to get too uppity and remember where I came from. I'm a working-class-chevy-loving-gal and damn proud of it!

That said, I won't take off my CAL front plate. Even though we've gone from #2 to not even ranked, I am still a proud Alumna!

(And I have to admit here, I too chose a major that is about as marketable as English, History--hence why I am a Counselor! )

doh!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Uma

Well, you chose a major!! More than most of us can say, Now, say you will be there tomarrow! Todd (Uma)
Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 PM

dang it! Now you're going to make me feel bad for taking this &^*#*^$ exam tomorrow!
Make sure and post pix!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Uma

Oh..Ok..get smarter LOL, hope to see you soon, and BTW good luck, kick ass on that exam. Todd(Uma)
Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 AM

Smarter than me, Playgames....mine was Music.