South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Hey SoCal locals, I need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
The dealer said when we bought ours in September 2005 that we would noticed the advertised gas mileage over a period of time as the engine broke in. Now whatever the reasoning, it has. We're getting better than advertised Highway mileage and the City mileage is right on.

Maybe the builders in Mexico slacked-off after the original 2006 Models. Who knows!
As the internals begin to seat & break in, the efficiency goes up. This is also a good reason to take it easy on a new engine... you won't notice any big problems (unless you crack a while bouncing off the rev limiter like a maniac) just worse mpg later in the car's life when compared to a properly broken-in engine.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 PM

Hi TK. Harvey gets about 23-24 in town and when I come down to SoCal it seems the faster I go the better the mpg. It seems the slower I go the mieage goes down. I came down 101 once last year and I got 34 but I think that was a fluk, because it new happened again. 30 plus a few tenths is the average on the hiway 70 - 80. Some tim going down the grapevine I'll hit 100 down hill so the mileage must really go UP, but by the time I get to Irwindale the average is still 30 plus. I fill up at the bottom of the grape vine and just for kicks I check the mileage about half way down the hill and it might read any where from 45 - 60 so I can dream a little.

See ya down the road
Bud-Harvey
Old 03-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Hey Don- Those numbers sound about 7-8 MPG low on both city and highway (the consistency draws my eye). I don't remember seeing in your posts if you've actually measured it the old fashioned way instead of relying on the DIC. Some people have reported those to be significantly off on in their cars. Is that possible?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 PM

Hey Fred, I did the old fashioned way and will do it again once I fill up this next time. Is this right? Fill, note miles, drive, fill again note miles, subtract miles divide by gallons at 2nd fill. If this is the case, Im getting mid to high 15s in town. NO sitting for long periods and NO pedal to metal. I agree, Im thinking 7 or so off and Im not going to accept that. Dealer will get it as soon as I get 2000 on it. I broke it in properly too.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 PM

o0o and check me out. Premium Member status finally! woohoo
Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 PM

not sure what to suggest that hasn't been said already. but something must really be off somewhere, as my SS 5-spd got 29.4 driving from Lompoc (approx 1 hr north of Santa Barbara) to Fresno, and there's plenty of twisty roads in hills and such, lots of big trucks going real slow (passed a dozen or so), and not using cruise control. this was with a full load of luggage in the back and 4 people, one weighing about 105 lbs, and the other three between 155-175 lbs each. also got 30.4 on the return trip (one of the heavier bodies not with me this time, also used CC). those are DIC readings, double-checked the old fashion way to be at most a tenth off.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 PM

The next time you take a long trip, make sure you reset the DIC, otherwise you're just averaging that trip with what's already on your car.

I get 31mpg going to Vegas averaging 70mph with only two stops. As to date I have 7400 miles, and have not ever reset my DIC; it reads 23.5mpg. I only do 1/3 of my driving on the freeway (without traffic) and average 24mph on the DIC.

If you have a lead foot, you'll get 15mpg around town.

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
As some of you know, my 08 2.4 auto is getting ridiculously crappy gas mileage. Im lucky to get mid 15's around town. So today I had my first freeway trip.

So..
2.4 auto
36 psi in the tires.
Went from long beach (405-605-210 fwys) to Laverne Ca. 106 miles round trip
Av speed was 70Mph

DIC is reading 24.9 MPG

Something is definately not right with the car to be getting such horrible mileage. My DOHC 350HP Marauder got 15 around town and 26 on the hwy.

Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 PM

NO lead foot. I have a friend w/ an 06 and he drives the piss out of his and gets 22 around the same town as I live in. Ok enough of my *****ing, I need to take it to the dealer and soon.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 AM

you have to remember the sticker is based off of no a/c, no radio, windows up, sun roof closed, all lights off, light throttle, no load, 55mph and on flat land.
We all live in Cali and we know none of those will happen. By doing any of the above will increases the fuel comsumption causeing your mpg's to decrease.

Any ways, i have the G5 GT with the 2.4 and a heavy foot. I average 26mpg(includes mountian, freeway, city driveing) and a average speed of 44-48.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by CaSol
you have to remember the sticker is based off of no a/c, no radio, windows up, sun roof closed, all lights off, light throttle, no load, 55mph and on flat land.
I figured this was why my mileage is around 18-25.
Sunroof open (or popped up): check
cold air on: check
PAL (Nano) blaring: check
Daytime lights on: check
Finding any excuse to go for a drive: priceless!

Hope you get it sorted out Don and welcome to the "premium member" familia!

Quick Reply: Hey SoCal locals, I need some feedback