SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2008 SS Overheating / Cooling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2024, 09:40 PM

2008 SS Overheating / Cooling Problem

Sorry to start another, but read through tons of the other threads, but most weren't related to the SS, so i wanted to start another instead of assuming all advice/instructions are equal. (Apologies in advance for the long narrative)

I have a 2008 HHR SS, 65k miles, GM Stage 1 upgrade, as well as several other mods.

3 weeks ago the fan just stopped coming on (suddenly.) I was at a race track shooting racing on a Saturday and Sunday. During breaks on both days i sat in the running car with the AC running (ice cold AC) and engine temps were all fine. During idle and with the AC running the temps stayed in the 190s.
When driving home Sunday, all was fine, average speeds were 80mph or so with a couple bursts that topped out just over 100. After getting off the highway i stopped at the mcdonalds drive through and ordered. At that point i notice the gauge as well as the readout starting to rise. I immediately pulled out of the drive through line, shut off the car, lifted the hood etc. Car readout was 226, and the gauge was up as well, not sure exactly where. (Greatly angered the McDonalds folks because i screwed up their food orders)

Anyways i went inside and had dinner waiting for the car to cool. No steam or smoke at any point. After close to an hour i jumped back in the car and drove home which was 1.5 miles away. Temps were back in the 190s again. That night a i let things cool completely with an external fan blowing on it in the garage. The next morning i verified all fluid levels were fine an only DexCool has been used. I took the car out and went to the car wash, dunkin donuts drive through, and to refuel. The car never hit 200 so technically i guess the fan shouldn't come on. Came back home.
Later that day i went out again and tried driving in traffic because just letting the car run in the driveway it never went above 200. After about 15 mins of stop and start driving the temps started to climb again and i pulled over and shut it down as soon as it hit 225. Radiator fan never kicked on. Nursed it back home after sitting an hour and once it was in the driveway tried using the heat and AC etc hoping to try and force the fan to act, but nothing. Had to leave town that evening and have been gone for 2 weeks. Spent most of that time reading others situations and watching youtube videos.
Regardless of whether the car is hot or cold, the heat blows hot, and the AC now blows warm too. The radiator fan does not turn on at all, regardless of car temp or AC settings.
I have checked and verified the fuses are good, and i have swapped relays with those in other spots attempting to test those. No CEL or codes either.

Any thoughts? Could it just be a failed fan/module at this point? Any other thoughts or feedback?
Any advice is appreciated. Up to this point most of the work i have done is maintenance/upgrade related.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:48 PM

No radiator fan either when you turn recirculating on?
Old 09-09-2024, 11:00 PM

to the forums!

On the SS, it's Pulse Width Modulated. It doesn't follow the same rules as LS/LT. So it's proper that you put this here in the SS forum.

The module mounted directly on the fan. I suppose you could unplug the fan from the module and test the fan.

At RockAuto.com, the module is $171, the complete fan with module is $205. When mine went out, I nursed it 2.5 hours home in the cool of the night, and bought the complete fan.
Old 09-10-2024, 02:06 AM

Second time mine had died and it went 2 days ago. First time it was the fan, not the module, tomorrow we'll see if one of the good modules I have fixes it, otherwise new fan again.
Old 09-10-2024, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
No radiator fan either when you turn recirculating on?
No setting tried thus far will get the fan to turn on
Old 09-10-2024, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
to the forums!

On the SS, it's Pulse Width Modulated. It doesn't follow the same rules as LS/LT. So it's proper that you put this here in the SS forum.

The module mounted directly on the fan. I suppose you could unplug the fan from the module and test the fan.

At RockAuto.com, the module is $171, the complete fan with module is $205. When mine went out, I nursed it 2.5 hours home in the cool of the night, and bought the complete fan.
Originally Posted by lazaino
Second time mine had died and it went 2 days ago. First time it was the fan, not the module, tomorrow we'll see if one of the good modules I have fixes it, otherwise new fan again.
Thank you both. I ordered the assembly while i was out of town just so that it would be waiting for me when i got home. I just thought i would as as well, i case there was something i was overlooking. Thank you both for the quick responses.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:22 PM

This time it was just the module and they also replaced the plastic radiator cap pipe with the metal one I'd given them just in case. Along with new control arms and sway bar links. Next to get the trans fluid changed and all the chains and associated parts replaced. We'll hit 100,000 in the next month or so. Should I do the water pump also while it's apart?
Old 09-10-2024, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Yes a water pump is a good idea!
Old 09-10-2024, 07:01 PM

Second opinion on the water pump:

The replacement might fail before the OE would have. Skip it unless you get OEM or a very good one. I’ve owned 5 HHRs and never needed a water pump. Just did chains at over 100k, left the OE water pump alone. Living’ on the edge!
Old 09-12-2024, 03:32 PM

The fan assembly swap over went well this morning and she is back up and running again with the new assembly in place.

During the hose removal/reconnection process I lost just over a 1/2-3/4 cup of dexcool. Whats the best way to top off? Through the radiator and then complete the burping process? Via the reservoir?

Quick Reply: 2008 SS Overheating / Cooling Problem