SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

CEL on way to work today, OnStar says code P2261

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:54 PM

CEL on way to work today, OnStar says code P2261

Well, b.o.b.'s Check Engine Light came on this afternoon as I was driving to work... not thrilled (only 750 miles on vehicle). A quick call to OnStar revealed Code P2261 (Turbocharger Bypass Valve Stuck Closed).

I wonder if this has something to do with the Dejon Powerhouse CBV Spring that I have installed. Perhaps the aftermarket spring is a little too strong for my untuned engine. I have the Stage 1 kit, just not installed yet.

So far, I've driven b.o.b. pretty conservatively and have rarely gotten into the boost over 8 p.s.i. I'm wondering if I should switch back to the stock spring until I have the Stage 1 kit installed.

I'm scheduled to have the CEL checked by the dealership on Monday.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM

check out this link: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/new-ss-tsb-15858/ found by searching forum for P2261
Old 05-15-2009, 09:14 AM

The BOV spring could be the cause. The increased spring pressure will hold it closed more. Not sure how a dealer would react about finding a different spring. Best bet would to open it up again to put the old one back and make sure the value was seated correctly.

I am no expert but I purchased the spring and then did not install it. My boost goes to 22-23 and vacume 20.3 with no issues. To protect the turbo I want the value to open.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Maybe the reprogramming done when the stage kit goes in will address the issue?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 PM

intersting....I found my stock spring was swallowed by the diaphragm in the BOV. The stock one was vac-locked, happened often after the stage-kit install

Since swapping, have had no problems, 1500 miles later.

when the warranty is out.....BOV is the first thing gone. Then plastic/rubber piping.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks for everyone's reply. On my way home last night, b.o.b.'s CEL was still on. On the freeway, I messed around with the accelerator a bit and couldn't get the turbo to produce more than 9 p.s.i. of boost.

Tomorrow, I'm going to switch back to the stock spring. Maybe after the Stage 1 kit install, I'll switch back to the Dejon Powerhouse Spring.

On a side note, when I popped the hood after getting home, I found "evidence" that a little critter has been hanging out in the engine compartment. We live in a somewhat rural area and I guess it's time to set out some "rat-b-gone".
Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by RodzHHRss
Thanks for everyone's reply. On my way home last night, b.o.b.'s CEL was still on. On the freeway, I messed around with the accelerator a bit and couldn't get the turbo to produce more than 9 p.s.i. of boost.

Tomorrow, I'm going to switch back to the stock spring. Maybe after the Stage 1 kit install, I'll switch back to the Dejon Powerhouse Spring.

On a side note, when I popped the hood after getting home, I found "evidence" that a little critter has been hanging out in the engine compartment. We live in a somewhat rural area and I guess it's time to set out some "rat-b-gone".
Hey fellow SD SS'er! I also have the spring but I installed it after the Stage 1. If you need a place to install your Stage 1 kit, Ron Baker Chevrolet on Mile of Cars in National City will do it for a flat rate of $274. Talk to Martin, tell him the owner of the only other SS Stage 1 install sent you! lol We should meet up sometime!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 AM

Well, everything seems to be back to normal. I re-replaced the Dejon Powerhouse spring with the stock one. As I was initially opening the BOV, I could hear a "whooshing" sound. Of course, it only took me a fraction of the time to swap the springs. When I was done, I tightened up some of the turbo piping and checked the vacuum lines. The CEL was gone after I restarted the engine... yeah! I still have to road test b.o.b. to see if the turbo is back to normal. In the meantime, looks like I can cancel the dealership appointment.

On a side note, the critter that's been visiting the engine compartment is a rat . Looks like he's been snacking on some snails, a lizard and nuts from a palm tree (huh?). No apparent damage. Cleaned up everything and purchased some wares to "deal" with him.

Oh, thanks for the info on the National City dealership.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Its the spring. There were some tests done by members on another forum and the stock spring is better
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM

I've been having unusual boost readings since I changed back to the stock cbv spring and the CEL went away. The turbo won't produce more than 9.5-ish lbs. of boost in any gear (almost to WOT). I'm pretty sure I've seen WELL over 10 lbs. of boost before. I did a search and I'm still not quite sure what normal boost levels are.

Even though the CEL went away on its own after the spring swap, does b.o.b. still need to be taken down to the dealer to have any codes cleared?

Quick Reply: CEL on way to work today, OnStar says code P2261