SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Did I fall victim to Stage 1 problems!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM

Did I fall victim to Stage 1 problems!?

Had it on for 13 months zero issues until this past week.

Car drives fine, no engine light, but under moderate gas or higher, boosts for a second then falls on its face, goes to 0 psi or close to, revs seems fine just feels like limp mode or something.

Stage 1 is with the plug n play harness, and the sensor close to the AC Condenser we put a foam isolator type deal as a 'cushion'

Also has solid motor mount so there isn't a lot of flex.

Does this sound like a Stage 1 issue or something else? Vac line maybe and causing BOV issues?

Just looking for thoughts before I dig into it.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Check for clearance on the lower TMAP wiring. If there isn't enough clearance you will occasionally loose boost or have other odd driveability issues. It may even be setting a code, but if it doesn't happen often enough the CEL will not light up. I was having some similar issues, and purchased a bluetooth OBD2 reader from Ebay, and the Torque app for my smartphone. Now I can see if codes are there, even if the CEL isn't on yet. On mine the lack of clearance set code P0099.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like the lower sensor. It's been a long time since I had any problem, but my dealer did the bracket to hold it away.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds more like a boost leak issue under pressure. Do a leak test.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Sounds more like a boost leak issue under pressure. Do a leak test.
Yeah that can do it too. For the OP, when you loose boost does it return immediately after letting off the gas, or do you need to turn the car off and restart it to get boost back?

From my experience, if the boost requires a key-cycle to return, you likely have a boost leak; if it is a momentary loss of boost that returns later in the drive my money would be on a wiring or electrical issue.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM

If the foam fixed it then it was hitting the AC compressor.

The way to fix it is to shim the intercooler forward with washers. You need to remove the front bumper cover but it is an easy fix.

Now if the foam did not fix it you need to look else where.

I was the first one to figure out the hitting of the AC and a GM performance engineer confirmed what the issue was and told me to have the dealer move the intercooler forward with fender washers. It fixed the issue.

Mine if driven easy would run fine but if I got on it the boost would go up and them drop when the engine torqued back and the sensor hit the AC. I used a piece of roll bar padding I had laying around to prove that was the issue. GM sent me a diagram and told me to have the dealer move the IC. They even did it under warranty.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
If the foam fixed it then it was hitting the AC compressor.

The way to fix it is to shim the intercooler forward with washers. You need to remove the front bumper cover but it is an easy fix.

Now if the foam did not fix it you need to look else where.

I was the first one to figure out the hitting of the AC and a GM performance engineer confirmed what the issue was and told me to have the dealer move the intercooler forward with fender washers. It fixed the issue.

Mine if driven easy would run fine but if I got on it the boost would go up and them drop when the engine torqued back and the sensor hit the AC. I used a piece of roll bar padding I had laying around to prove that was the issue. GM sent me a diagram and told me to have the dealer move the IC. They even did it under warranty.
Mine was hitting and I had the intercooler moved up (obviously not enough), added the TTR motor mounts (helps with torque steer and keeps the motor from leaning too much(, even went as far as ordered the crate engine depot connectors and a complete wiring harness because my upgrade was done with splicing.

After a while it started hitting again and wore through one wire.

The new dealer, Bunin in Culver City (who is great compared to the previous Santa Monica dealership) located the problem, soldered the wire and flipped the sensor 180 degrees. It didn't affect the power and for the first time the engine didn't abruptly cut out under hard acceleration.

This may not be your issue, but it's a cheap fix to flip the sensor and try it.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Flipping may or may not work depending on the spacing. That was the other option GM gave me.

I fear as these vehicles get older and the mounts get more lose the ones that are close and not hitting now will hit later on. I have space to give now with the IC moved forward so I hope I will be ok now. But I expect more as the miles add up will come here with the same issue.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Flipping may or may not work depending on the spacing. That was the other option GM gave me.

I fear as these vehicles get older and the mounts get more lose the ones that are close and not hitting now will hit later on. I have space to give now with the IC moved forward so I hope I will be ok now. But I expect more as the miles add up will come here with the same issue.
My worry about the HHR SS is going forward how long we can get parts and service, especially parts.

Mine is going in next week as I hear a slight clunking noise from the front, probably the bushings, but something that needs to be checked.

I've had a lot of ups and downs with this car, but accepted them and obviously I must like it or I could have easily moved on, especially since it is so polarizing.

I'd like to think I'm above driving a car to be noticed or cool, but it's nice when someone compliments what you drive.

I find the SS to be so polarizing. The kids that work for me dread driving it as they think it's not kewl, when thrity minutes earlier getting gas, I get three compliments in a row.

When I was having issues, I researched and looked at a lot of cars in all price ranges and nothing, regardless of price had the outward size, the interior usability, the power to weight, the features and the excellent driving response of the SS.

Sometimes it's a hard car to love, but it's also a hard car to change.

New years night we were returning home and I saw a standard HHR miss a turn on a tollroad and hit a retaining wall virtually head on at what I think was about 60 or 70 mph. The car leaped in the air, went backwards and spun 180, crossed three lanes and hit the opposite retaining wall at about 35 mph.

When I passed I could see the driver turn and look at me.

I was amazed he was still moving and though we couldn't stop as there was no shoulder and cars were coming behind us from everywhere we called 911 and they sent assistance.

I couldn't find any news as to what the extent of his injuries were, but this is one tough little car.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Parts should not be an issue as GM is on solid footing and should remain stable for some time to come. Also the Delta platform under our vehicle was used on many other cars and many of the parts will carry over to work on other vehicles.

Things that may difficult to find 20 years from now will be things like interior parts etc. I can still get a lot of parts for my nearly 30 year old Fiero either from GM or aftermarket suppliers. The thing we have going for us too is they built so damn many of these things and they will be around with demand for parts for some time to come.

Yes they are a very tough vehicle and as long as you are belted in you have a very good chance of walking away. Lord knows we have several walking dead on this web site alone. The had crashes that should have killed them but for the most part they were able to get out of the vehicle with little or no harm.

I did not buy this car on looks. I could have really care little either way on styling but the way the SS drove hooked me. I hated Turbo 4 cylinder FWD cars but this one opened my eyes to the modern Turbo and taught me things were no longer like they used to be.

I know you had some issues and I am glad they worked them out. But the majority of us have had little to no issues and we are please with our purchase. The only thing I think all of us today wish is GM had built this vehicle Post Chapter 11 and we would have seen things like a better interior etc. But then again for all I paid for this it is still not bad but I wish my interior was more like my new GMC.

Quick Reply: Did I fall victim to Stage 1 problems!?