SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Goldline Springs Installed!! Detailed Pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Springs

Ordered mine today, don't have an SS but what the heck I'm having fun with what I have... Will take Pics before and after and probably become a Premium member just so I can post em
Old 07-11-2009, 07:03 AM
00prowler

Originally Posted by bartSS
You dont like the rear a little higher than the front? I think it looks good like that. Ill be ordering the springs soon
Your right. I am going to leave it....Al

Old 07-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Looks very nice.. BRAVO!

Did any of you guys swap the shocks / struts while you were at it?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 PM

swap them with what? The SS already has the better of the stock sets...
Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 PM

The stock SS struts and shocks are crap compared to some Koni's or KYB's. I had both stock front struts puke and a rear all under warranty... and I drive on the highway. I had a friend talk to the product engineer @ GM and told me that the struts and shocks on the 1st batch of HHR SS's (which mine was built in month 2 of production) were falling apart becasue the supplier was building with bad components. If they were a name brand I would agree they were better, but they are built by the same folks that build the other ones. I am swapping out with KYB's in the coming month
Old 07-11-2009, 09:13 PM

Here ya go! They are slightly firmer riding but well worth the looks and improved handling...Still rides very nice...Al

Ive been waiting for this statement. So what your saying is these have a better rating the stock, thats interesting. After reading so many arguements against this change, Nuremburg this and that but yet it was ok on the other non SS cars, and all this time they were better.Kept asking for spring rates between the 2.. never found that answer.Glad somebody stepped up and and made the claim.

As for BZERKED.. go ahead with those KYB's.. been wondering how the SS would react to them..especially since they were made for Non- SS models as a direct replacement.....maybe they are better, just need somebody to step up to THAt plate and take a swing. Let us know how that turns out.....
Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 AM
00prowler

^^^^ Thanks...I think the lower cg is what makes the car handle better...It could be any spring for that matter....If Goldline built a spring @ stock height compared to a OEM lowering spring, the OEM spring will be the winner...Its the lower center of gravity that improves the handling...Less lean in the corners equals better lap times...Adding the rear Turbotech sway bar improves the handling even further...This little truck handles like a beoootch now...Al

Old 07-12-2009, 12:14 PM

Nice job on the lower stance, it's well worth the work but I would wager that the unit that ran Nuremburg is close too, but not the unit in our driveways. The engineers built that car with the best of one-off components at the time for evaluation to get the green light for production. After that acceptance they need to price the vehicle in the market so they work backwards cutting costs on components to make a profit. Enter GM purchasing who takes the engineering data and gets quotes for all the components and picks the cheapest one. If the cheap part is with in spec they run with it and it's out of engineering hands. It's a constant battle, and I have seen it 1st hand.

The stage 1 kit from GMPP could have been on the test car in Nuremburg, how do we know?

Go on youtube and look at the cobalt SS turbo running Nuremburg and look how low it sits.

Don't get me wrong, I have had issues with the car (it's in the shop right now) which makes me hate it, but when it's right I love the damn thing!

I sent a note to KYB tech support.. I'll post the response. If they match, the goldlines and the KYB's will be going on!

I guess my original question was did anybody change the struts, because if I am going to crawl under there you might as well kill two birds with one stone, right?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Got a note back from KYB;

"Our current HHR product is roughly 12% firmer than the standard HHR shocks. Our unit would not be considered a high-performance replacement for your SS, but will fit your car."

There you have it!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:04 PM

why not look into the coilovers offered by KW or Pedders?

Originally Posted by BZERKED
Got a note back from KYB;

"Our current HHR product is roughly 12% firmer than the standard HHR shocks. Our unit would not be considered a high-performance replacement for your SS, but will fit your car."

There you have it!

Quick Reply: Goldline Springs Installed!! Detailed Pics!!