SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Has anyone figured the problems with Stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by russruth
I went past the closest chevy dealership yesterday and stopped for a second and noticed they now sell Infiniti and Chevrolet, though they didn't have one Chevrolet on the lot or the showroom.

It really doesn't matter because in chevy's mind the HHR SS is a dead as Fred.

They're busy sticking camaro tail lights on the 4 cylinder malibu.

But your right, if you want it done right, have it done yourself and don't worry about it. I do know I dig driving this car but don't trust it any more than I trust a government "budget".

Also I live in LA not Ohio so going to the dealer is a 2/3's day process.

GM just half assed too many things on these cars and the HHR SS was a good idea to try to get into the hot sports hatch market, though they just didn't take it the extra inch to do things right.

Still, I wouldn't buy another one, or recommend it to anyone. I'll probably buy another trailblazer SS. That's the type of car GM knew how to make.

Now if they would come out with a screaming opel (not buick, cause as every valet in LA will tell you Buick's = old people), I might go that direction, but overall if you need 4 doors and the ability to carry more than a six pack, Chevy makes good trucks and that's kind of where it stops.

IMO
The HHR and SS were just lucky to be built as they came from a time GM could not even afford to pay attention. I make no excusess for it. Things were much worse than most realize. Hell even back in 04 the GTO did not get hood scoopes and the split exhaust till 05 because they could not afford them on the 04 budget. It is what it is.

But the fact is there are more of us that have had no issues than have so while I understand your bitterness please understand that most of the rest of us have no reason to be bitter.

As for the new Malibu you had better wait to see and drive one before you get too chippy as it is not just the same car rehashed. I have spoken to people who have seen and driven one and they said they were impressed with it and that is much improved.

As for your Buicks are for the old. Get over you snobbyness. Buick today is becoming as much Opel and Opel is becoming Buick. The new cars really have not arrived yet post BK as they are just getting the product out they had ready but no money. They are not just going to rehash the grills like Chrysler did nad rename a car.

Thing will be changing as they now have the money they need to do the new product. Just because you listen to uninformed Valets does not mean you really know what is going on.

I have some people at GM I keep in touch with and let me know some of the things going on. Today the engineers are empowered for once and we have only seen a little of what they can and will do. The Chapter 11 set GM free to fix the many things that have been wrong for near 40 years.

Fact is if you go to most forum sites you will see the same bitterness no matter the make. Asian German or American they all have issues and people complaining. Forum site breed this as it is where people come for answers.

I see it all the time on the Honda and Toyota sites. Everything from check engine lights, tanny issues to poor tire wear etc. you name it.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The HHR and SS were just lucky to be built as they came from a time GM could not even afford to pay attention. I make no excusess for it. Things were much worse than most realize. Hell even back in 04 the GTO did not get hood scoopes and the split exhaust till 05 because they could not afford them on the 04 budget. It is what it is.

But the fact is there are more of us that have had no issues than have so while I understand your bitterness please understand that most of the rest of us have no reason to be bitter.

As for the new Malibu you had better wait to see and drive one before you get too chippy as it is not just the same car rehashed. I have spoken to people who have seen and driven one and they said they were impressed with it and that is much improved.

As for your Buicks are for the old. Get over you snobbyness. Buick today is becoming as much Opel and Opel is becoming Buick. The new cars really have not arrived yet post BK as they are just getting the product out they had ready but no money. They are not just going to rehash the grills like Chrysler did nad rename a car.

Thing will be changing as they now have the money they need to do the new product. Just because you listen to uninformed Valets does not mean you really know what is going on.

I have some people at GM I keep in touch with and let me know some of the things going on. Today the engineers are empowered for once and we have only seen a little of what they can and will do. The Chapter 11 set GM free to fix the many things that have been wrong for near 40 years.

Fact is if you go to most forum sites you will see the same bitterness no matter the make. Asian German or American they all have issues and people complaining. Forum site breed this as it is where people come for answers.

I see it all the time on the Honda and Toyota sites. Everything from check engine lights, tanny issues to poor tire wear etc. you name it.
I have 4 black chevrolets in my garages. 3 are SS purchased within the last 18 months, so I don't think I fall into the bitterness category when it comes to buying Chevrolet's.

Once again I drive all my cars throughout the month. The strongest and most secure is the Trailblazer SS, followed by the Impala, my Chevy Van, then the SS.

The only two cars I own that haven't had to visit a shop for repairs are my wife's Infiniti and the Trailblazer SS. Could be the luck of the draw, could be the fact those cars costs more than my other cars, could be that
GM is just better at making trucks than they are cars.

Again of all my cars i'd rather drive the HHR SS cause I just like it. Wish I could trust it.

I also know how to read and right now the FED is scheduled to take a 11 billion dollar loss on GM's IPO, as shares have dropped almost 50% since they introduced the "new" GM stock.

By May when the Government dumps their remaining 27% the stock will probably drop another 10%.

Do you really think a Malibu which looks identical to a Cruze (just larger) with a small 4 cyl. motor is going to push GM stock up? Will you or anyone on this forum buy this car?

Now I will admit that the web has a lot of negativity . . . some is bogus, some is just venting, but a lot of it is just plain true.

Now before you diss Valet's as not knowing their customer base, remember in 2010 the average age of a buick owner was 72. I kind of think the Valet's have a point.

With the Regal, buick is looking for the 25 to 45 year old bracket to save the brand. I employ a dozen of 25 to 30 year olds, all are gear heads and I can tell you to a person none of them will buy a buick, they might buy an opel, they all buy German cars at the present.

The Regal might be a step in the right direction, but every comparision test of the Regal, vs. a VW and a Acura puts it last.

I still believe Chevrolet is pushing away their cusomter base. Say what you want with no where to go with the HHR, but Mini and VW seem to think that their is gold in the retro look and in a way so must chevrolet because the Camaro is kind of a larger more bloated retro car.

I just think Chevy is trying to be Toyota and personally don't see the appeal. Toyota has that market covered.

P.S. As far as money, GM got off light. They got billions in taxpayer money, a tax break, got to leverage their debt down, dumped their bond holders and
they only reason they are pushing for the government to dump their shares is so they can raise executive salaries. (not my words, real the financial press).

IMO