SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Heater core removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Jit

Heater core removal

Hello I am in the middle of removing the heater core. I looked at the photo that's attached and it looks like there's 12 5.5 mm bolts that hold the cover in place.

I removed them and the plastic outlet that attaches to the floor tubes.

I unsnapped tree lock clips around the housing.

I removed one nut on engine side of the firewall.

I srill cannot get the plasic housing off even with moderate prying.

I did search this site first but didn't find anything so thought I would post the question.

What am i missing????

Thanks

Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 AM
geg

I'm not sure I'm helping you, but suddenly it will come in handy.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Jit

Thanks for the videos. Hopefully i dont have to remove whole dash.

I am following procedure on autozone step by step.

No 20 says use small chisel to remove heater core cover heat stakes.

What and whete are these?? No luck finding on internet search.

Has anyone replaced their heater core??
Thanks
Old 10-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Evidently the core is held in place by "stakes" produced with a hot iron. In other words; melted in.

Like when you stake a washer to keep the nut from loosening, but melting the plastic.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:09 PM
Jit

Has anyone removed their heater core? Still working on it.

So I'm still working on my heater core I've attached to pictures of where I'm at . when I try to pry the heater core cover I cannot get it to come loose near the firewall. I can get it about an inch wide Gap around the front and sides but the closer I get to the firewall it doesn't want to open up.

To I need to remove all of that metal framing?. It's not like the 2008 Cobalt that's in the video. That - metal framing is different.

So if you've actually removed one any help would be appreciated on how to get that cover off.

To top it off second week in third world california working in dark with flashlight and no electricity...

Last edited by Jit; 10-29-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Picture left off
Old 10-29-2019, 04:33 PM

This shows the AC nut removed? I can't tell if you got the other nut off on the right.

I've never done it, but others have without trouble.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Jit

Thanks Donbrew.

I have both nuts off of # 1and 2 im image. I did not take nut off a/c block. In the Chilton manual i didn't see that nut removed.

I did read about removing the firewall stud. The only one that happened to turn was #1 in your diagram. Regrettably it just spins and does not unscrew.....

What type of manual are you using? I liked that it has links.
Thanks again for taking time to reply
Old 10-29-2019, 05:23 PM

There are 2 #1 nuts; I can see in your pic you have the passenger side one off, can't see the driver side. Those seem to be the only ones involved.

Mitchell OnDemand. Check your PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jit
Thanks Donbrew.

I have both nuts off of # 1and 2 im image. I did not take nut off a/c block. In the Chilton manual i didn't see that nut removed.

I did read about removing the firewall stud. The only one that happened to turn was #1 in your diagram. Regrettably it just spins and does not unscrew.....

What type of manual are you using? I liked that it has links.
Thanks again for taking time to reply
New to the forum, but did you resolve the issue with the firewall stud Jit? Im doing a heater core on a 2010 hhr and have the dash out and am basically at the same point you were when Donbrew pm'd you. I have the screws out of the cover and can pull it down a little but cant take it off due to the stud coming through the firewall which wont unscrew from the cover and just spins. I loosened the metal frame support for the dash but that doesnt give me clearance either.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Jit

Heater core

Ok finally got it out and replaced.

For Nick 93 and anyone else interested here are some pictures and info.

First on the firewall there is one stud under a plastic clip holder that holds a metal tube. You need to unclip rhen remove tube then pull plastic clip off and there is another stud. Take 10mm nut off. I think a 4.5mm fit end and unscrew. It will come loose but still remains in firewall. You can only remove from inside drivers side .

Next make sure you removed the one silver bolt to the rightside of radio.very hard to get to.

Also there is about a three inch tube that goes through firewall. It is to the left of turbo. This needs to come out from inside and is attached to the heater core cover. See pictures.

I pryed hard down on then pulled forward and downward until i cleared the drain tube.

I did make a crack in cover and broke several tabs. However there are more than enough bolts and i used silicone on crack.

The heater core is easy once cover is off.

When reinstalling you have to do that firewall studs early on to get it to align right.

I found i needed to jack right corner of steel frame when i put everything back together

Quick Reply: Heater core removal