SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Heater core removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Jit

More pictures

Old 11-17-2019, 09:25 AM

Crap, I thought changing a heater core in a Chevy Vega was hard.
It's not even close.
Thanks for the insight and pictures.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Ok i see what you mean on the firewall stud, very odd. Did you remove the tie bar( metal tubing support for dash, steering column, and pedal assembly) or just pry it out of the way for you to have clearance to pull cover down? I am looking to hopefully not crack the cover and will remove tie bar if i absolutely have to.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:52 AM

There are still people that pay for data; there is absolutely no need to repeat multiple picture files when quoting a post. Try following a thread like this on a smart phone, bad enough on a desktop!

Please be considerate of other users.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
There are still people that pay for data; there is absolutely no need to repeat multiple picture files when quoting a post. Try following a thread like this on a smart phone, bad enough on a desktop!

Please be considerate of other users.
My bad, i have unlimited so i didnt even think of it to be honest. Will keep in mind for future.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Jit

This is what i removed from dash

I also took ductwork out. Gave more access and opportunity to wash years of dust from inside.

I never discovered the heat seal that it says to chisel through.

Mine cracked on side near brake pedal when i was pulling it down.

I also broke several small tabs when using small screwdriver to un clip. They are very fragile.

I suggest taking pictures of everything as you take apart to help with reassembling. Easy to forget wire routing etc.

Also there are two different length black screws 8mm i think. Pictures will help to know where shorter ones and longer ones go. They are about 1/4 different in length.

Hope this helps
Old 11-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Administrator

So those bolts on either end of the dash don’t allow you to pull it out ? See them over to the right in one of those pictures. I think it’s the bottom one.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:40 PM

I noticed you ended up removing the dash after hoping not to? The Autozone details made it seem possible without doing that. The only YouTube vids are for the waterfall.
I've had the core for months, just kept putting it off. Here in Florida really don't need heat and the defrosters seldom. But when my wife used the defrosters it fogged and oiled the window. But were driving up to Ga for a week+ and well last yr it was a pain with foggy windows with the temp changes.So I started it earlier this week.

After spending far too many hours (days) attempting to get the factory spring clamps off the heater hoses (do they position the ears at the btm on purpose) then wanting to really flush the block but unable to get that water pump drain bolt off. Even using a universal joint attachment. So I did my best using a pump to try and circulate and pump out the flush water.

I am at my waterfall removed, all the screws attached to the dash top and fascia removed. I'm stuck at how I'm going to remove my dash fascia without taking out the Instrument panel monster bracket (called that on the label) Is that the "I/P center bracket" AutoZone refers to? My shifter is bolted thru it, as well as it bolted in a thousand different spots to the steel framing. I gave up for the night after finding my 10mm long socket missing from my box. Guessed that's why I can get my pass. airbag cover off? Two long screws nutted when looking up thru the golvebox opening.
What a pain.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:58 AM

Oh, you've never done a Silverado heater core. Stop your *****ing!
Old 11-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Jit

Yes it was quite a job. I probably took off more than i needed to and even then i had to pry like crazy to get core cover off of the heater assembly.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Heater core removal