SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

HHR SS wheels vs. Brake dust.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM

HHR SS wheels vs. Brake dust.

How do you guys clean your wheels, and how long do they stay clean? I seams that everyday i turn around and there is brake dust on the wheels again. This doesnt make any sense because i mainly do highway driving where i do not have to use my brakes that much. So i am just trying to get some ideas and see if there are any tricks to keeping them clean. Thanks
Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the SS Rim Cleaning Club! I clean my wheels twice as much as I wash the entire car. And don't you just love the rust that sets up on the rotor surface after you wash them. These rotors seem to rust easier than any car I've ever owned. I've got the Brembo's but I assume the regular SS brakes are just as bad(dust and rust).
Haven't found a secret cleaning method yet. Keep them waxed.It makes cleaning a little easier.
I kind of hope the originals wear out early so I can replace them with something less dusty.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Ceramic brake pads will cut the brake dust 80+%
Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by JRGHHRSS08
How do you guys clean your wheels, and how long do they stay clean? I seams that everyday i turn around and there is brake dust on the wheels again. This doesnt make any sense because i mainly do highway driving where i do not have to use my brakes that much. So i am just trying to get some ideas and see if there are any tricks to keeping them clean. Thanks
I've got an SS with Brembo's and the best solution is to not drive it. I do use a microfiber to wipe the wheels down frequently. I'd rather stop than shine.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Same problem here. I usually wash my SS once a week but dust the wheels off every two days. More, if it rains. When it is time for brakes, I am going with better pads. After I wash it, I throw some wax on the wheels and that does help some.

Dave
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM

I know your what mean you take the time to clean the rims and with in 200 miles the rims were black again..I couldn't take it any longer I only had 11,500 miles on the vehicle I didn't need brakes but this is what I did.... I installed a full set of EBC (red) brake pads...no more brake dust ....
Old 11-04-2010, 05:43 AM

For those of us with "stock" brakes, here's what I do (and it's a bit of a PITA). Get one of those bug sponges from pep boys (with the fabric netting) soak it in water, and load it up with car wash gel. Wet the wheel down and keep it wet, then rub with the soap-filled sponge. The soap prevents scratches and the netting clears the dust. Just make sure you put a lot of soap. Then, polish wheel as usual.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
Ceramic brake pads will cut the brake dust 80+%
+1! and more like 90%! Ever since my stock pads wore out and I put on ceramic, I no longer get significant brake dust buildup. And this was with the $40 AutoZone Gold pads, not expensive fancy ones.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks guys these are all helpful tips and most of them i have tried, Guess i just drive to aggressive haha. Well good luck to everyone on keeping your wheels clean.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by bigboy346
I know your what mean you take the time to clean the rims and with in 200 miles the rims were black again..I couldn't take it any longer I only had 11,500 miles on the vehicle I didn't need brakes but this is what I did.... I installed a full set of EBC (red) brake pads...no more brake dust ....
EBC Reds cured my Cobalt SS, too. It beats soaking the pads in WD-40 (which stops the dust, but won't stop the car! )

Quick Reply: HHR SS wheels vs. Brake dust.