SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

HHR SS wheels vs. Brake dust.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
It would be nice if I could find a good low dust option with great stopping power.
EBC red pads. As low of dust pads as you will find and very good heat transfer.

No pads are dust free.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
EBC red pads. As low of dust pads as you will find and very good heat transfer.

No pads are dust free.
Do you know the part number for Brembo cars? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 PM

I was reading somewhere on ebay auction that the yellows were slightly better than the reds in some area of braking.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 AM

I was reading somewhere on ebay auction that the yellows were slightly better than the reds in some area of braking.
No Yellow is for track use and EBC does not recomend them on the street They will stop better but you need heat in them. Cold they are not very good. You would hate them on the street as you never know how well they will stop if they are cold. They even recomend people who track time to change the pads before driving home from the track.

The Red is what the rep from EBC recomended for hard street use with low dust. The Greens work well too but they will have more dust.

I will will have to look them up at work. I have their catalog there. I am off till Tuesday.

Or you can go to their web site and pull up their catalog there is you like.

I think they just added the Brembo pad number. If not call them and they may have a number not listed.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Sweet... thanks for the know.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 PM

So I waxed the SS wheels with body wax, not wheel wax and it reduced the brake dust buildup by 60-70% on the wifes SS. Did a couple 70-???-70 runs as well, last time I did it the wheels were black. Was trying out Menzerna sealing wax and added it to the wheels.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 AM

Sweet... thanks for the know.
I checked on EBC and there are no Brembo pads as of yet.

I will keep checking.

As for waxing the wheels. I have always used car wax on them since they are clear coated.

got2boostit2 Not sure why you are getting less dust? Wax protects the wheel not make dst come off or not stick. If that were true then I should not have dust on my paint. Mine get black just thew same but they can be eaiser to clean with the wax.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Us Brembo guys got screwed!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I checked on EBC and there are no Brembo pads as of yet.

I will keep checking.

As for waxing the wheels. I have always used car wax on them since they are clear coated.

got2boostit2 Not sure why you are getting less dust? Wax protects the wheel not make dst come off or not stick. If that were true then I should not have dust on my paint. Mine get black just thew same but they can be eaiser to clean with the wax.
placeforbrakes.com has part#DP31842C listed for EBC red pads for Brembos. Did I read it wrong? Hyperv6,you are the expert here,could you check on this part #?
If not available, what other choices for pads are there for us guys w/Brembos?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
placeforbrakes.com has part#DP31842C listed for EBC red pads for Brembos. Did I read it wrong? Hyperv6,you are the expert here,could you check on this part #?
If not available, what other choices for pads are there for us guys w/Brembos?
Never claimed to be an expert I just sometimes have better resources. This time I was just not up to date.

Ok My old book at work did not list Brembo but I dug up their new down load for 2011 book and here is what they list.

2008 and up HHR SS {Brembo}

DP21539 Front Green Brembo
DP31539C Front Red Brembo

DP21704 Rear Green {Brembo and non Brembo rear}
DP21704 Rear Red {Brembo and non Brembo rear}

Non Brembo 2008 and up HHR SS

DP21763 Green Front Non Brembo
DP31763C Red Front Non Brembo

Rear pads are the same on SS HHR SS's Brembo or not.

I will not list the Yellow as they are overkill and there are no Blue pad yet. The Blue are full race and new to the EBC line.

Note too that the EBC book has a misprint saying the SS is Supercharged. It is only a misprint. Errors like this are common to many vendor Catalogs.

Anyone who wants to down load the new 2011 book here is the link.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/EBC-...-Catalogue.pdf

George I am not sure what the number you have is. It is not even listed in the back of the EBC book in the index. I thought it may have been a old number but it is not shown. Sometimes they do change part numbers when they update parts.

Quick Reply: HHR SS wheels vs. Brake dust.