SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

HHR SS wheels vs. Brake dust.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Hyper. And yes, you do seem to be an expert in this area. Now your typing skills...... Sorry,couldn't resist.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Thanks for the info Hyper. And yes, you do seem to be an expert in this area. Now your typing skills...... Sorry,couldn't resist.
At least I can look up a simple number!

Sorry I could not resist!

Last edited by hyperv6; 11-13-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:12 PM

After my ~2000 mile holiday road trip, I built up a good layer of brake dust, especially on the driver's side front wheel. When I went to go clean it how I usually do - blasting it with water at one of the self-serve car washes - the grime on that wheel wouldn't come off. I got out the wheel cleaner and microfiber to go to work on it, and once it was off there were a ton of spots and stains. It looks like it ate into the clear coat. It's hard to see from far away but it looks awful up close. Any solution?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by patrick49
After my ~2000 mile holiday road trip, I built up a good layer of brake dust, especially on the driver's side front wheel. When I went to go clean it how I usually do - blasting it with water at one of the self-serve car washes - the grime on that wheel wouldn't come off. I got out the wheel cleaner and microfiber to go to work on it, and once it was off there were a ton of spots and stains. It looks like it ate into the clear coat. It's hard to see from far away but it looks awful up close. Any solution?
Treat the wheel like paint. It has a similar clear coat. You can clay them or use a series of polished to clean them up. Then use a hand glaze then Wax them.

Keep a good coat of carnuba wax on them and it usally protects the wheel from bakes on cantamination.

I usally use Maguires pro series polish or 3M Finesse for dark paint. They are mild and usally do the job. Just don't use anything really abrasive.

It will take a little work and you may want to remove the wheel to make it easier. Clean the back too.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:02 PM

When my 08 was new I told my dealer about having to clean the wheels every 2 days . The dealer installed GM ceramic pads at no charge .After that my wheels stay clean from one complete car washing to another-week plus.---Bob
Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Yes new better low dust pads will help but his problem is they are already stained.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot when I can get around to it. Living in an apartment complex with no external water hoses means I have to go to one of the ghetto stall car washes which end up costing a ton of money since all I really need them for is the high pressure hose, and it's just wasting time while I'm doing the cleaning with the stuff I bring with me. Just bummed that something so inevitable caused the damage. Not like I could pull over in the frigid wasteland of the midwest and get my car washed or anything. I'll be switching to low-dust pads like I've heard people mention here once the current ones are done though.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 PM

Wonder what a shot of rain x would do.....
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by patrick49
Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot when I can get around to it. Living in an apartment complex with no external water hoses means I have to go to one of the ghetto stall car washes which end up costing a ton of money since all I really need them for is the high pressure hose, and it's just wasting time while I'm doing the cleaning with the stuff I bring with me. Just bummed that something so inevitable caused the damage. Not like I could pull over in the frigid wasteland of the midwest and get my car washed or anything. I'll be switching to low-dust pads like I've heard people mention here once the current ones are done though.

I would go to someones house or take the wheel off and take it in. This is going to take time to do right so the better place you have to do it the better the results. This will not be a 5 min easy job.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Wonder what a shot of rain x would do.....
It would look good on the bottom of the trash can. I would not use it on my John Deere.

Quick Reply: HHR SS wheels vs. Brake dust.