SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Just Did the Front Brakes.....Must Praise the SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Harley-

agreed not a bad idea, wonder how many do it ?

I flush Dot 3 or 4 systems every 3 yrs, & the Dot 5 bikes every 5 yrs...
Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
So let me try to understand you correctly. You flush the whole system every time you do front pads ?
No sir. But is the brake fluid in the caliper is dark it is contaminated and should be replaced. In a low mileage automobile it is moisture. Water lowers the boiling point and settles to the lowest point but IMHO if that is the case the whole system needs attention. The reason that calipers may stick after replacement is that a rust ring is caused by moisture where the piston does not travel. Put new pads on and the piston is forced back onto that rust and it 'sticks.'

Mercedes does say that the fluid should be flushed at 10,000 mile intervals. The reputation that German cars have is from the extra service intervals required and not because they are of a better design.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tominator
No sir. But is the brake fluid in the caliper is dark it is contaminated and should be replaced. In a low mileage automobile it is moisture. Water lowers the boiling point and settles to the lowest point but IMHO if that is the case the whole system needs attention. The reason that calipers may stick after replacement is that a rust ring is caused by moisture where the piston does not travel. Put new pads on and the piston is forced back onto that rust and it 'sticks.'

Mercedes does say that the fluid should be flushed at 10,000 mile intervals. The reputation that German cars have is from the extra service intervals required and not because they are of a better design.
Agreed, That's why I do the caliper bleed as I originally posted. Between flushes.

BMW has a 2 yr flush schedule, least they did on the '96 Z-3 we had..
Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Haven't been on in a while but I used the bottle of clean fluid trick. Pumped then a couple times at the end just to be sure the caliper was flushed out and then topped off the reservoir. I must say the fluid that came out of the calipers was barely darker than the new I put in.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 PM

I have the Brembo brakes, and man, whatever pads are on there sure do dust a lot!

Any alternative pads that don't dust so much?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM

is your complaint the wheels getting dirty? If so, I know a wheel polish & sealant you can use, although the dirt gets on there, you just wash it right off (no effort at all). Any performance pads will be significantly dustier than a lower-performance type. Just saying, if your only concern is the wheels appearance (I don't blame you) then that may be easier than finding a set of pads that don't get the wheels dirty. If you also would prefer longer life, well, I'll do some research on that for ya, but if you don't mind how long they last, well, yeah.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeModifier
is your complaint the wheels getting dirty? If so, I know a wheel polish & sealant you can use, although the dirt gets on there, you just wash it right off (no effort at all). Any performance pads will be significantly dustier than a lower-performance type. Just saying, if your only concern is the wheels appearance (I don't blame you) then that may be easier than finding a set of pads that don't get the wheels dirty. If you also would prefer longer life, well, I'll do some research on that for ya, but if you don't mind how long they last, well, yeah.

Tell me more about the polish and sealant please. Any suggestions for a Hawk pad (p/n) for the Brembo calipers. Dust is not a concern...stopping is.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 PM

My wheels are already sealed, that isn't the issue. Regardless of how easy they are to wash, they literally get dirty in two days, so they look like crap for 5 days assuming I wash the car once a week.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:28 PM

I had the same problem but then went to ceramic pads. So far, very little dust. I don't notice any difference in stopping power.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
It takes a little longer when your out-of-work drunk neighbor wants to help.
Hey, I thought you could use some help and I wasn't doing anything anyway so.....

Quick Reply: Just Did the Front Brakes.....Must Praise the SS