SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Manual Tranny Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Gmando
Does anyone sell a repair manuals for the HHR SS? It would be nice to have one to make sure things go a little smoother if I decide to do it myself. I'll poke around to see what I find, but if you can point me in the right direction it would be cool.
Helm Inc. is the only authorized company. It's not cheap. There are pirated versions on ebay but I have read they are difficult to navigate through.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm having a tough time tracking this (2 qts.) of tranny lube for the SS in the DC metro area, does anyone know if it can be ordered online: Lubricant - GM P/N 88862472, (Canadian P/N 88862473) 1.6-2.0 quarts

My local dealer is telling me that I would need to order a case of 6 qts at $27.00 each in order to get it. I only need 2.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Founding Member

My local dealer is telling me that I would need to order a case of 6 qts at $27.00 each in order to get it. I only need 2.
Your local dealer obviously doesn't value you as a customer. Call them and ask for the Parts Manager. See if he has better customer relation skills. Use reasoning and tact. Butter him up with how much you love dealing with his dealership. Whether its true or not, sometimes you just have to put a salesmans hat on to get what you want.

The point is some day they will be working on one of these transmissions and will need the fluid for the repair.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Your local dealer obviously doesn't value you as a customer. Call them and ask for the Parts Manager. See if he has better customer relation skills. Use reasoning and tact. Butter him up with how much you love dealing with his dealership. Whether its true or not, sometimes you just have to put a salesmans hat on to get what you want.

The point is some day they will be working on one of these transmissions and will need the fluid for the repair.
It kinnda sucks that someone should have to BUTTER UP a guy to do the job of taking care of a customer (buyer of a car mfg. buy the employees employer) Or am i out of line , Seems to be a problem with the usa in genral.
But hey maybe i should have to kiss the azzz of someone who's job may not exhist in a couple of years. ? My 2 cents
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ScreaminBlkSS

It kinnda sucks that someone should have to BUTTER UP a guy to do the job of taking care of a customer (buyer of a car mfg. buy the employees employer) Or am i out of line , Seems to be a problem with the usa in genral.
But hey maybe i should have to kiss the azzz of someone who's job may not exhist in a couple of years. ? My 2 cents
You can call it buttering up or you can say you used your head to get what you wanted by manipulating the situation. You are bitter right now about your HHR and I am not the one to argue with you about it. Peace.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr

Thanks, but I did all of this. I even had the Service Manager who I know well go and talk to the Parts Manager and No Go. I explained to them that they would use the rest on another job and they still said No.

Initially they sold me lube: 88861800 and told me it was for the HHR SS, but I didn't think it was because you (ChevyMgr) told a couple of threads and post ago what I needed. You even posted a pic for me, so after jumping on here and verifying this I went back to return it and get the right one and they swore up and down that 88861800 was the correct lube and that the info I had is incorrect.

I guess they just dump whatever is on the shelf into customer’s cars.

HELP, I need this soon!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Founding Member

I guess they just dump whatever is on the shelf into customer’s cars.
Idiots. Sometimes you can't fight stupidity.

HELP, I need this soon!!!

This gear oil is identified in GM documentation as a synthetic 75W-85 GL-4. Google or Bing that and you will find many other resources and manufacturers of this gear lube.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Valvoline Duragear 75W/85

A new age multigrade manual transmission oil meeting the requirements of modern fuel efficient motor vehicles where an API GL-4 gear oil is recommended.
Increased shear stability for maximum protection against wear and corrosion.
Overcomes cold shift baulk and hot rattle problems.
Refer to owner’s manual for correct grade and
Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys; I'll be able to roll with this.

I wound up sending everyone and their mom emails explaining how they sold me the wrong crap and then tried to get to buy an entire case of what I truly needed when I only needed 2 qts. They still wouldn’t get me the right stuff, but at least they admitted that they were wrong and hopefully they won’t try to screw anyone else over, but I doubt it.

MR *******
I HAVE RUN YOUR VIN AND YOUR TRANSMISSION IS A MU3 WHICH DOES TAKE PARTS # 88862472
I APPOLOGIZE FOR THE CONFUSION YESTERDAY. WE DO NOT STOCK THE FLUID. I CHECK WITH GENERAL MOTORS AND IT IS ON BACKORDER WITH
NO ETA. WE HAVE A LOCATOR WE CAN SEARCH OTHER DEALERS ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND THERE ARE ONLY A FEW THAT SHOW THAT THEY MAY HAVE IT IN STOCK. BELOW IS A LIST OF THOSE THAT SHOW A QTY. I AM ALSO GIVING YOU THE PHONE NUMBERS IN CASE YOU WOULD LIKE TO CALL THEM AND SEE IF THEY WOULD SELL AND SEND IT TO YOU

JONES GM LANCASTER PA 800-827-0129
FRED BEANS LIMERICK PA 717-766-0284
GARNER CHEVY MANAHAWKIN NJ 609-597-1161
DAYS CHEVY UNIONTOWN PA 724-438-2577
PINE BELT CHEVY EATON NJ 732-542-1000

THESE ARE THE ONLY DEALERS THAT SHOW IT

IF I CAN HELP YOU IN ANY OTHER WAY, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME OR E MAIL ME

DEBBIE WEBBER
Old 01-16-2022, 11:18 AM

12 years later.
GL-4 is the important part when asking at your local auto parts store. When using synthetic oils brand doesn't make much difference, the spec is important; GL-4 is the spec/API.

Quick Reply: Manual Tranny Oil???