SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Need SS brake recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Need SS brake recommendations.

I posted this in the brake section and got no reply at all eventhough it has been up for six hours. So I thought I would post it here.

I searched and found threads a few years old but nothing recent. My brake wear indicators have started ringing on my Non-Brembro SS. I am going to have all the brakes changes since I have hit 52000 miles.I would like some recommendations of the best brakes for the best price. I would prefer local instead of online but would buy online if the price is right. The stock ones have been very dusty. Are ceramics better? If so, whose?*I have changed pads in other cars before, but how easy are the SS ones to change?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 PM

well I just ordered off ebay a set of slotted rotors and pads for about $160 (power sport brand from I believe brake labs)
little leary of the brand being an ebay item but did some searching on the web and have seen good and bad ratings. the bad ratings seem to be because people dont "bed" the pads correctly, which is important.
whatever you do I would stay away from drilled rotors, they are notorious for warping and/or breaking if you are hard on them, and they are just for looks no benefit in performance (sure I will hear some different views on this one)
some of the best basic rotors are Napa Premium's and their ceramic pads, have read nothing but good reviews on them and they are decently priced.
pads and rotors on pretty easy to do on these cars from what I have read, guess I will find out for sure once my new rotors and pads arrive!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Just replaced my front pads yesterday @ 47K, with std pads from O'Reilly's for $27 for the set. Easy to do; took me a while to figure out that you have to unbolt the "pad holder thingie" from the caliper to install new pads. Why anyone would pay to have this job done at a shop is beyond me.

Jim