SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

No crank No start (sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 10:44 AM

No crank No start (sometimes)

I have a Chevy HHR SS 2009 and I have an issue where when I drive the car then say stop at a gas station to grab something. The car has a no crank no start and usually it only last 15-20 minutes and it’ll randomly start up fine. The other day though it was hotter than usual and I stopped after driving on the high way for around 50 minutes and it had the same problem but instead of 15-20 minutes it took 2 hours to come back on. I replaced the battery and the starter and still having the same issue. I heard it could be a neutral safety switch. I have a check engine light but it’s a PCM code and a few different mis fires. If anyone could give any advice on what it could be it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:10 PM

to the forums!

It might be related to one or more of the CEL codes, but...

Start at the battery, make sure the connections are clean and tight. Make sure the terminal clamp is not broken.

Then move to the other end of that positive cable, where it connects to the lug on the side of the underhood fuse block(under the red cover). Same thing make sure both cables there are clean and tight.

Onto the other end of the 2nd cable you just checked, it's connected to the big lug on the starter. 2 cable ends on that, too, clean and tight. .

The 2nd cable there goes to the big lug on the alternator, clean and tight.

Your next stop is to tighten the four 7mm bolts inside the underhood fuse block, they need to be much tighter than you would think.

If none of that fixes it, I would be removing the starter and have it tested. I think most auto parts stores can still do that for free.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:23 PM

Coolant temperature?
No CEL code is unimportant. Numbers only. Most mean that damage is imminent, they are trying to save the engine or catalytic converter.
Misfires can kill the cat.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Wild guess. Try replacing relays #34, 51 in the engine compartment fuse block. (Heat soak on a failing relay)
And do the “gorilla” snug down on those fuse box bolts.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:09 AM
geg

Maybe I'm missing something, but "no crank" is not informative. What exactly is going on?
Usually all starting procedures can be heard when the radio is turned off.
Turn the key one turn and the dashboard lights will turn on and the fuel pump will purr quietly behind you.
Keep turning the key and you will hear the starter turning the engine.
Keep the key in the extreme position and the starter will sooner or later make the engine start.
At what stage is your problem? Let us know, it will be easier for us to make a diagnosis.
But first check the power supply, do as RJ_RS_SS_350 says. A large number of errors hints at a weak electropower supply.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I’m thinking the 4 bolts could be the issue as RJ stated earlier, a 7 mm socket 1/4 drive ratchet and tighten them past any clicking

Old 06-22-2024, 09:06 AM

"No crank" means the starter motor is not activating.
The "sometimes" makes me think either heat related or loose wire.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Start relay loose? Ignition switch worn out? Loose ground wires.
Old 06-22-2024, 11:22 AM
geg

...or the starter itself died.
The starter is located low, in direct access to road dirt and moisture. I've had starter problems a couple of times in my life.
The first time the negative wire oxidized, I had to urgently do some magic and somehow restore it to working capacity.
The second time something happened to the Bendix - it stopped responding to the key. It looks like it was covered in rust and stuck in the channel.
Judging by the fact that the guy’s starter either works or doesn’t work, a problem with the Bendix is ​​also likely. After checking the power supply, if the problem persists, you should take a look at the starter itself.
Old 06-22-2024, 11:44 AM

Have the ignition related recalls been performed?

Link to check in my signature.

Quick Reply: No crank No start (sometimes)