SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Revs up by itself between shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Oh, then I would say it is normal based on my experience driving other SS's. If GM comes out and states it is a problem and they have a fix I will post that when it occurs.
Then you are saying your driven other SS's, and there have been times when you shifted from 1st to 2nd at like 3500 rpm, and the rpm stayed there at 3500 between shifts even though you lifted off the gas?

Thank you for posting any new info that comes along.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM

I have 3000 miles on mine and it does the same thing that is being described. I thought that maybe I wasn't lifting my gas foot as fast as my clutch foot but now I know I am not a rookie stick driver! Thought I was a little rusty but not thinking that now. Please let me know what you hear. I may call my dealer but I am the only SS for a few 100 miles and I am sure they wouldnt know any better.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
Nope, no obstruction with the mats. Tested it at noon, after sitting in a turn lane thru 2 lites, it did it, then I pushed the clutch in, reved to 4500, and it stayed there a few seconds after I released the gas. I did it twice, then all ok. Its like the engine control is doing it, of course it can since we have throttle by wire, but nobody else has this? I at first thought it was some kind of emissions deal, to let the throttle off easy when hot, but am more thinking its a problem.
LT1, try this, as you are coasting, blip the throttle, it will go up and fall REAL SLO!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 PM

Anybody else with a stick have this, or am tired of it? Kinda makes people look at you when shifting in a parking lot or turn lane, cause they think you forgot to take your foot off the gas. Surely if they all do it, they will figure a way to fix it, its annoying.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
Anybody else with a stick have this, or am tired of it? Kinda makes people look at you when shifting in a parking lot or turn lane, cause they think you forgot to take your foot off the gas. Surely if they all do it, they will figure a way to fix it, its annoying.
Wow, I did not see this thread until today... No, mine does not do this at all. I would find that very annoying! I can't believe that they are supposed to be like that. I have not experienced this even once since I have owned mine, and I an up too 9,900 miles now. I would insist to the dealer that it be fixed ASAP. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:23 AM

I've never heard of a vehicle that was supposed to do that (and my HHR SS certainly doesn't). I did once have a 1991 Plymouth Colt that revved for no apparent reason. Turns out it was manufactured with a defective solenoid valve or something. After it was replaced it never did it again. It took several attempts by the dealer to correctly identify and correct the problem.

I'd go back and tell 'em that since the vehicle you test drove before didn't do it, you don't expect yours to do it either... Or let them show you in the factory specifications or other documents where that behavior is considered normal, and what the purpose is. Insist on them repairing it so it operates according to specifications. That should polarize the issue clearly.

I presume you'll have to talk with a number of people in various roles at the dealership(s) and perhaps at GM as well... Ask each one how many vehicles they've personally owned with manual transmissions, and how many of those over-revved for no apparent reason. Ask what they would personally expect from a vehicle after spending $20k-30k on a vehicle. I imagine that approach would be pretty successful. If not, fall back to, “The vehicle I test drove didn't do it. If it's operating within specified parameters, please show it to me in the specifications or other documentation.” I would not stop pushing until it was fixed. Whatever you do, don't let the issue go so long that the warranty expires, because then the only way to get it fixed will be for you to pay for it.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 AM

so you're saying it stays revved up for 5-7 seconds after lifting off the throttle?

and it occurs in all types of conditions: cold and warm?

sounds like the throttle position sensor to me... or whatever the eqivalent is...
Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by monza
so you're saying it stays revved up for 5-7 seconds after lifting off the throttle?

and it occurs in all types of conditions: cold and warm?

sounds like the throttle position sensor to me... or whatever the eqivalent is...
Yes, just like you forgot to lift of the gas.
It does it when the car is warm, and only after sitting idling a few minutes, like at a drive thru or turn lane, and after just starting when it sat hot for a while, like after you come back out of the store. I'm almost sure its heat related, but dealers these days don't seem to know how to fix anything that there isn't a specific tech bulletin on. Sounds like there are a few others out there that do it, so there is hope.:) My dealer is 55 miles away, so I can't run it down there a dozen times untill I figure out what it might be.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM

i sounds like it could be one of the air sensors or throttle position sensor...

i doubt it's this but it's always good to try - boost leak test... make sure everything is on tight...
Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Do I understand this correctly?????

You posted this problem over a month ago and the problem still exists. You are asking for advise from the members and they are giving it. And you are having the reving problem dailey, all the time. And you haven't been into a dealer, yet?

I mean gosh, if it's doing it all the time, the dealer can't say "cannot duplicate".

Quick Reply: Revs up by itself between shifts?