SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Revs up by itself between shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:29 PM

I test drove 3 different stick cars while shopping for my SS and none of the cars display this behavior........
Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 PM

The SS has an electric throttle. If the car only does this after the car get hot I would say the motor that opens the throttle is getting stuck or the motor is getting a false reading.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Do I understand this correctly?????

You posted this problem over a month ago and the problem still exists. You are asking for advise from the members and they are giving it. And you are having the reving problem dailey, all the time. And you haven't been into a dealer, yet?

I mean gosh, if it's doing it all the time, the dealer can't say "cannot duplicate".
Yeah, the dealer doesn't say "can't duplicate", he says when feeling it himself, "thats not right", then when I pick up the car says "thats normal for these cars". Most dealers around here don't have any stick cars to compare to anyway. Thats why I asked again, because no one has said theirs did it and they did THIS to fix it, and some say theirs does it, some don't. I am not going to waste another day taking it in until I have confidence that I can get it fixed, and at the rate its going, I'm gonna have to tell them WHAT is wrong before that's gonna happen.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SdgrS
The SS has an electric throttle. If the car only does this after the car get hot I would say the motor that opens the throttle is getting stuck or the motor is getting a false reading.
The throttle motor sticking under heat is my thought too, but the dealer says everything reads ok. IT does it so smoothly, its like its programmed to do it though.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Founding Member

We received 16 white HHRs today for coca-cola. Of course none are SS models. Which means the stock units which will include all models will soon be in.

I have not driven another SS with a standard since this thread began, so I still don't know if it is normal for sure or not. When I say normal I mean others do it, not that it SHOULD be that way. I notice others state theirs doesn't do it so that makes me leary now of stating its NORMAL.

Like I stated the ones I have driven (2) seemed to have the rpms stick or stay level when shifting, I noticed it after driving them real hard with a heavy pedal. But I didn't pay attention to it occuring. I don't remember having rpms go higher though. I was kind of like a kid with a new toy when I drove them and monitoring their characteristics wasn't on my mind.

The first standard SS that comes in I am going to check it out and check the lug nut torque, which is something from another thread. If it occurs while driving it I will put a tech II on it and drive again to see what is happening.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
We received 16 white HHRs today for coca-cola. Of course none are SS models. Which means the stock units which will include all models will soon be in.

I have not driven another SS with a standard since this thread began, so I still don't know if it is normal for sure or not. When I say normal I mean others do it, not that it SHOULD be that way. I notice others state theirs doesn't do it so that makes me leary now of stating its NORMAL.

Like I stated the ones I have driven (2) seemed to have the rpms stick or stay level when shifting, I noticed it after driving them real hard with a heavy pedal. But I didn't pay attention to it occuring. I don't remember having rpms go higher though. I was kind of like a kid with a new toy when I drove them and monitoring their characteristics wasn't on my mind.

The first standard SS that comes in I am going to check it out and check the lug nut torque, which is something from another thread. If it occurs while driving it I will put a tech II on it and drive again to see what is happening.

Thank you, I appreciate that.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Founding Member

Finally got another SS with a manual in it. WOW!! The RPMs did raise about 500 rpms when shifting while driving the vehicle hard and even what I would call medium driving. When I dogged it around they didn't. I took my shop foreman (who has raced cars all his life) for a ride and showed him and he stated it was normal to see the increase or the RPMs holding then dropping while shifting it. He believes it relates to the turbo unwinding and the ECM reacting. I didn't see that it was something, that if I owned one, I would really worry about, but who knows GM may come out later with an update for customers who are concerned about it.

The no lift shift worked great for me also when I had it at full throttle. I did however throw the SES light on. The code was for the clutch pedal switch, but I think I had my foot resting on the clutch pedal while we slowly cruised by a policeman parked on the side of the road. DIC showed 3.6 miles per gallon so I reset it too.

One other thing I noticed on this one. Neither the passenger or drivers seat had the armrest, unless the passenger armrest is in the package in the back for us to install. I will find out about that and post in the proper thread.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=ChevyMgr;275070]Finally got another SS with a manual in it. WOW!! The RPMs did raise about 500 rpms when shifting while driving the vehicle hard and even what I would call medium driving. When I dogged it around they didn't. I took my shop foreman (who has raced cars all his life) for a ride and showed him and he stated it was normal to see the increase or the RPMs holding then dropping while shifting it. He believes it relates to the turbo unwinding and the ECM reacting. I didn't see that it was something, that if I owned one, I would really worry about, but who knows GM may come out later with an update for customers who are concerned about it.
QUOTE]

I have this EXACT same problem with my SS since day one this spring. My HHR LT (2.4L) never had this issue.

Observations:
- only occurs when launching from stop 1st to 2nd
- doesn't matter which 'Mode' you are in. All three will produce this issue
- doesn't matter if engine is hot or cold
- revs 500+ when clutched in
- occurs at any engine RPM range when performing the clutch-in/gas off/shift manuever
- you can do it once and not reproduce it for another 5-30 minutes of in city driving, or you can reproduce it every other time you launch. End result - intermittent behaviour which means 'faulty' something to me
- does not relate to gas pedal amount at all. You can reproduce under mild or full throttle

I recently took it into the dealership because I had an engine light come on. Turned out to be a fuel system vacuum leak which they fixed. They were able to reproduce the clutch-throttle issue before the fix, but not after. Of course I can quite easily, so I'll be going back this week for them to look at it again. They're a little confused about it but aren't denying because they did reproduce it.

I'm thinking it has something to do with throttle sensors or mapping related to sensors, because this throttle/slow deceleration actually can occur while engaged in gear and taking your foot off the gas... you feel the car surge a little before it slows down. My old 5.0L Tbird used to have a slow throttle off which let it coast nicely on the highway (to avoid sudden brake HP feel), but that was a consistent behaviour. This is intermittent.

HHRSSCANUCK

Kitchener, ON, Canada
Old 07-20-2009, 02:41 PM

I have never had that issue. Take it to the dealer.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Ok, I'm obiously not driving mine hard enough, haven't seen this happen. Have to push her a bit more I guess.

Quick Reply: Revs up by itself between shifts?