SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Revs up by itself between shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM

My S-10 did the same thing and it was a bad switch... problem is i cant remember if it was the neutral safety or not. It is not NORMAL
Old 11-28-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by HHR 'Black Death'
My S-10 did the same thing and it was a bad switch... problem is i cant remember if it was the neutral safety or not. It is not NORMAL
OK, can you let me know which switch? The problem for me is worse now, and yes, the dealer STILL can't reproduce it.

I'm thinking throttle position sensor or something.

Recent addition now to the 'between shift' is now even when engine is cold and just revving while in neutral, it'll be a REAL slow throttle down intermittently.

Second, and worse... in Launch Control mode, the rev limiter kept disengaging. I'd go between the 4100 and redline on and off. This happened twice to me.

And to answer an earlier question about driving it hard, no, this has not been the case. You can get this under a very normal throttle/shift condition, around the 2-2500 rpm mark. The main thing is sitting idle for any period of time or cold run.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm getting pissed about this issue.
It's intermittent, and NO, this can't be normal. Emissions does not make any sense with the additional information I provided.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Have it reflashed...sounds like a program glitch..something is not being read correctly...or, disconnect the batt for 5 min to dump , and let it relearn , see if it repeats again.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 AM

I doubt its the same with our cars but my buddy's Caliber SRT4, sometimes the throttle response becomes laggy and you have to recalibrate it by turning the key to acc and holding down the peddle for like 30 seconds.

But, I've never heard of anything for the SS, I myself have never had an issue.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 PM

The issue still remains with my SS. Again, never had this issue with my LT with 5-speed.

I studied the slow rev down a bit more. When this is occurring, tap your accelerator. You'll notice the throttle response is as slow up as the rev down is. Then it all goes back to normal.

I'm getting the Stage 1 programming done in the next week, so I'm curious to see if this goes away thereafter. My guess is it won't.

I had it back to the dealer on several occasions about this, and nope... they're never able to reproduce it. I take it off the lot, of course it happens to me.

I have a consistent reproduction of this when leaving the parking lot at work to go for lunch. I've been carrying my video camera in the car to video this for reference for GM. I've called customer service about this, no reports...

Yet we have this email thread.

R.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 AM

Are you sure it's not the "shift anticipation" kicking in? The PCM will hold the RPMs up to better synchronize the gears. I notice on my SS if I wind it past 4000 it will hold that for a couple of second and then slowly drop the RPM. It only happens when I wind it up and clutch it without putting it into the next gear.

I figure that at some point GM added more intelligence to the shift anticipation rather than just the standard RPM float of yesteryear. You would also notice that the RPM would float at around 1500 until your speed got down below about 10 MPH (varies by application) and then it would drop to the normal idle speed. People thought something was wrong, but that is part of how it works.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Revs up by itself between shifts? problem fixed

Hello every one. I’m new to the list and had the same problem that it has been mention here. I just purchase a used 2008 HHR SS. since the first day that I had the car has been doing this reving betwween shifting. Some personal background about my self is that I’m a master ASE mechanic and have access to some fancy ECM scanners at work.
I think I found the solution to this problem. With the scanners I have been able to see that just resting your food on the clutch pedal, the ECM would know and will keep the RPM’s up between shifting as long as you keep your food on the pedal.
Remove your food completely from the pedal between shifting and your problem would go away. I have been driving my car this way for the past month and have not done this revving unless I keep my food on the pedal for fast shifting.
Hope this info helps some of you.
Carlos noto
Old 08-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by notomoto
Hello every one. I’m new to the list and had the same problem that it has been mention here. I just purchase a used 2008 HHR SS. since the first day that I had the car has been doing this reving betwween shifting. Some personal background about my self is that I’m a master ASE mechanic and have access to some fancy ECM scanners at work.
I think I found the solution to this problem. With the scanners I have been able to see that just resting your food on the clutch pedal, the ECM would know and will keep the RPM’s up between shifting as long as you keep your food on the pedal.
Remove your food completely from the pedal between shifting and your problem would go away. I have been driving my car this way for the past month and have not done this revving unless I keep my food on the pedal for fast shifting.
Hope this info helps some of you.
Carlos noto
So there must be some kind of switch on the clutch pedal so the ECM can tell if it is being pushed. Adjustment or a defect could also cause it as well as keeping a foot on the pedal.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM

I don’t think that is a defected switch, it must me be the way the SS ECM was programmed. I’m not sure if it is a magnetic switch or a micro switch. We just have to wait from one of the guys that dose not have this problem to tell us if he drives with the food on the pedal all the time or if he takes it off everything he shifts. This is the way I’ve been driving. Try to drive this way and let me know if it works for you.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by notomoto
I don’t think that is a defected switch, it must me be the way the SS ECM was programmed. I’m not sure if it is a magnetic switch or a micro switch. We just have to wait from one of the guys that dose not have this problem to tell us if he drives with the food on the pedal all the time or if he takes it off everything he shifts. This is the way I’ve been driving. Try to drive this way and let me know if it works for you.
So,, keep your damn groceries off the pedal.......

Quick Reply: Revs up by itself between shifts?