SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Revs up by itself between shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Exactly my point!

Mitchell Estimator says to "Contact Dealer with VIN for proper application and price" for 2009 SS. Even though the diagram leads me to believe they are the same.

The 2008 diagram has no resistor, identical to 2009 except for that.

It is there in the 2010 diagram.

2008-2009 no resistor. 2010-2011-with resistor.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:20 PM

I was doing a bit more reading and found that there are DTCs relating to the manual trans; they will NOT cause a CEL; they should record in the Failure Record.

I did not know the clutch position sensor needed learning.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:31 PM

I didn't do any of that fancy relearn stuff, and I turned out fine...
Old 06-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I didn't do any of that fancy relearn stuff, and " I " turned out fine...
That may be true Randy but how did your car turn out ?

( Sorry. Can't help myself sometimes)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:28 PM

I'll be here all week Badda-boom
Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Try the veal, and be kind to your waitress!
Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 PM

I posted in this thread many years ago. I still own my SS and the reving is clearly the shift anticipation code working normally.

If you've every seen the official GM program code listing for one of their manual trans cars, it's right there. In the 80's and 90's it was more crude in that it would just not let the RPMs dropped when you clutched it. It made the engine/trans RPM matching must better. Then if you clutched it and rolled to a stop, the RPMs would hold around 1500 and then slowly drop over a couple of seconds. Depending on the code, it was was around 10-15 MPH. The programmer assumed you were coming to a stop. Drove people nuts trying to decide if something was wrong, but it's not.

As faster processors came along and they added clutch pedal sensors they could better predict what you were about to do. It is possible to fool it so that you get that high rev up. If you rev the engine in gear and then quickly clutch it, it will probably hold high. But generally it won't happen in normal shifting. On the other hand, if you are banging gears it greatly improves the synchronization of the engine RPM to the trans input shaft speed for the next gear.

Bottom line - you're trying to fix something that isn't broken. If it holds more than 5 seconds without dropping, then yes, something is wrong. Mine always starts to drop after a few seconds.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Me neither FMG -
Old 12-09-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by terryk
I posted in this thread many years ago. I still own my SS and the reving is clearly the shift anticipation code working normally.

If you've every seen the official GM program code listing for one of their manual trans cars, it's right there. In the 80's and 90's it was more crude in that it would just not let the RPMs dropped when you clutched it. It made the engine/trans RPM matching must better. Then if you clutched it and rolled to a stop, the RPMs would hold around 1500 and then slowly drop over a couple of seconds. Depending on the code, it was was around 10-15 MPH. The programmer assumed you were coming to a stop. Drove people nuts trying to decide if something was wrong, but it's not.

As faster processors came along and they added clutch pedal sensors they could better predict what you were about to do. It is possible to fool it so that you get that high rev up. If you rev the engine in gear and then quickly clutch it, it will probably hold high. But generally it won't happen in normal shifting. On the other hand, if you are banging gears it greatly improves the synchronization of the engine RPM to the trans input shaft speed for the next gear.

Bottom line - you're trying to fix something that isn't broken. If it holds more than 5 seconds without dropping, then yes, something is wrong. Mine always starts to drop after a few seconds.
If you say so. All I know is that mine used to do it. Since I made the changes, it hasn't ever done it again. Not even for 1 second.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I was doing a bit more reading and found that there are DTCs relating to the manual trans; they will NOT cause a CEL; they should record in the Failure Record.

I did not know the clutch position sensor needed learning.

Well, this is interesting. I did finally get around to replacing my Clutch Pedal Position Sensor. It didn't solve the problem, but I didn't do a re-learn either.

Quick Reply: Revs up by itself between shifts?