SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

SS Exhausts - Magnaflow and stock art

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Thanks, Gas Man! I have done 3 Magnaflow cat back systems, one on my Cobalt SS 2.4, one on a '06 Silverado L33 and one on my wife's Impala LTZ 3.9 V6. I loved the sound on the Cobalt, and it wasn't too obnoxious but was noticable. On the Impala it was a bit much for my wife - but it sure sounded and looked great! The single outlet system on the Silverado sounded great and still does after tens of thousands of miles. Very Muscle Car without being loud like a Flowmaster (even the 3-chamber).

Keep us informed on how it sounds after a few hundred miles. The Magnaflow is a "glas pack" style straight-through muffler and needs to "break in" a bit. It usually gets a bit mellower and deeper, but a bit louder in the process.

One think good is it looks like it should stop the dreaded carbon blacking on the bumper that the stock tip causes (because it looks like the magnaflow sticks out a bit more than the stock one).
Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 AM

Yeah I was wondering if it would "break in" a bit. We shall see.

Yes I set it to stick out a bit further. The stainless tip is now a nice goldy color, which I know I can polish out but for now it rocks.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 AM

How's the clearance around the spring perch? I've heard of problems with the earlier versions banging on the perch - especially on lowered vehicles. I have one of the earlier non SS system and the pipe/muffler bangs against the perch on rough roads, when the car is loaded down with passengers and luggage.

I love the sound, even after a few months it has mellowed, but it is louder, still love it though.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM

I just rechecked it around the spring perch... I can get my hand between the pipe and the perch. I'm not sure if that's enough when loaded down, perhaps check again with people in the back seat.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
I just rechecked it around the spring perch... I can get my hand between the pipe and the perch. I'm not sure if that's enough when loaded down, perhaps check again with people in the back seat.
I also noticed on mine, there's minimal clearance of an 1.5 inches between the back of the muffler and the spring seat. What surprises me is there's no sign of a dent or scuff that would be the obvious signs of muffler clearance problems
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Gas man, Dejon has good intercooler piping for us. Its the first mod i did to mine. Also i will be selling my dual interceptors soon if youre interested!!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:33 PM

I don't like the sound of I4 engines, so anything that makes it louder isn't my thing. The Magnaflow doesn't really make it that much louder, but if it does nothing for performance, it won't interest me. I should post a clip of my highly modified '02 Z06, so you guys can hear a beautiful sounding motor.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
I also noticed on mine, there's minimal clearance of an 1.5 inches between the back of the muffler and the spring seat. What surprises me is there's no sign of a dent or scuff that would be the obvious signs of muffler clearance problems
Agreed... but sure enough I do hear it hit sometimes and also dont see any marks. I do wonder if we could dent the pipe slightly, like gm did for our O2 sensors. Could dent it with c-clamp without removing the pipe.

Originally Posted by bartSS
Gas man, Dejon has good intercooler piping for us. Its the first mod i did to mine. Also i will be selling my dual interceptors soon if youre interested!!
Yeah they do and so does CIA. Not sure what the difference in performence or price is. Looked a bit pricey.

Dual interceptors?

Originally Posted by zeevette
I don't like the sound of I4 engines, so anything that makes it louder isn't my thing. The Magnaflow doesn't really make it that much louder, but if it does nothing for performance, it won't interest me. I should post a clip of my highly modified '02 Z06, so you guys can hear a beautiful sounding motor.
I understand what you mean but I think mine sounds sexy.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:12 PM

Any update on the sound now that it has had a chance to settle in? Is it still plesant on the highway without drone? I really need to do something with mine but do not want a lot of noise. I have always liked the Magnaflow sound, but have had some droning issues with one of the installations I have done.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:18 PM

Good call on the reminder.

No drone on the highway. I'm not really sure what people mean when they say it's really loud. Maybe I'm use to my harleys, maybe I'm use to my 40 series flowmasters on a v-8. But there is no drone.

Can you hear it on the highway? Certainly but not bad.

Am I and many many others impressed with the sound? Most definately.

Does it sound like a high pitched "ricer"? NO, I'm thinking the 3" pipe is to thank for that.

Does it smack on the drivers rear lower spring pedestal? yes, annoyingly so. I've been thinking about a piece of wood and a c-clamp to dent a spot to alieve that clunk, but I'm unsure it will.

Do I really like it? Oh yes. I love it.

Quick Reply: SS Exhausts - Magnaflow and stock art