SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

SS Loss of Power & Regain

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 AM

SS Loss of Power & Regain

Yesterday, the 2010 SS was running fine. I stopped to fill up (1/4 tank worth), continued on driving and it seemed fine. Then a few minutes later, I feel like the power went away. Sure enough, I step on it and boost only goes to 5psi. I have no CEL on the DIC. I call Chevy service and make the appointment. Then about 4 hours later, it's gnawing at me, so I take it out for a test run and sure enough, boost is back to 20psi. That's the first time that has happened. So I cancelled the service appointment as I figured with no CEL, they would not find anything. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what was the cause? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Any time there's a problem right after fulling the car I think "bad gas"....... If there was water in it, or particulates, that would go to the bottom and get burned first. Thus the problem "going away". Even with no CEL there might be a code, have it scanned. Auto parts places do this for free...... see if there's anything.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 AM

anything done to the car? k&n filter? GMS1?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Founding Member

Was the ignition switch on when you were fueling up?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Thanks guys, the ignition was off, yep I have the stage 1 and other than that, nothing else has been done. The lower TMAP sensor connections failed once but that set off the CEL and was corrected by the dealer. The car seems fine and I was thinking also that it may have ingested a slug of water (it was a gas station used before for the cycles & never had a problem, but the first time for the SS). I guess time will tell. I will have it scanned by the dealer next time it happens, hopefully it won't! The dealer service told me to call them whenever it happens again and they'll take it right in for a check/scan. Thanks guys. By the way, the car seems to run better on Chevron gas for some reason, Shell not too bad, but everything else seems to cut down on performance.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sidecardog1
Thanks guys, the ignition was off, yep I have the stage 1 and other than that, nothing else has been done. The lower TMAP sensor connections failed once but that set off the CEL and was corrected by the dealer. The car seems fine and I was thinking also that it may have ingested a slug of water (it was a gas station used before for the cycles & never had a problem, but the first time for the SS). I guess time will tell. I will have it scanned by the dealer next time it happens, hopefully it won't! The dealer service told me to call them whenever it happens again and they'll take it right in for a check/scan. Thanks guys. By the way, the car seems to run better on Chevron gas for some reason, Shell not too bad, but everything else seems to cut down on performance.

Are those connections soldered.. My 2008 HHR SS has the kit and the power loss would come and go and after a year and a half of fighting with multiple dealers I got one to solder them and the problem seems to have disappeared.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Premium Member

mine was doing weird stuff and they found the lower conector had been rubbing they replaced it and did this.
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM

If the problem happens again, I would take it in. I know with mine I had a problem that was causing the turbo to shut down and it didn't set the CEL the first time it happened. It had to happen multiple times to set the CEL off. The dealer had a lot of trouble replicating the problem, so after they cleared the codes, I drove off and got it to act up again. Brought it back to them with a non-functioning turbo but no CEL. They verified it, shut the car off and restarted (which restored turbo function) and it still had no CEL but when they plugged in the scanner it had stored a code already.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM

I have a 08 HHR SS with the stage kit and my car is doing the exact same thing. Mine has been in for service 3 times for this but they can't figure it out. The last time it was in I asked if they would remove all the pipes from the turbo and inspect them and reinstall, so I picked the car up last Friday and so far so good. The turbo is now working fine, but I'm scared to get on the car cause I'm afraid the problem may come back. I'm willing to bet it's something to do with your connectors. If mine acts up again I'm going to get them to solder mine and see what happens or I may invoke the Lemon Law. I've had my car a year and a half now and it's been in the shop for 3 oil leaks, the brake booster problem, and 7 times for the turbo. I'm scared to see what will happen with the car after my warranty runs out, cause I sure don't have the funds to come out of pocket on this car.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM

Lower TMAP Sensor Installed Wrong

No my connectors are not soldered. The first time they failed the tech installed the new stuff in the same manner with new connectors. I may have the same thing starting up again. I just took a photo of the sensor from the left side looking right. Guess what, it shows that the sensor did not have the little boss removed prior to installing and the sensor is sitting up off the duct on the anti-rotation bar on the duct. So now I am going to make an appointment to have that corrected. See the attached photo for how it's not supposed to be installed. I really can't fault the Tech as I bet that he DID NOT see the instruction sheet that came with the upgrade kit as he was only REPLACING a failed TMAP connector set from the initial upgrade. So if the instructions did not come with the replacement sensor and connectors, I would give him a pass on this one since it is in a terrible place to work and observe. I took this picture blindly by sticking my hand with the camera up from underneath the front bumper. Took several attemps before I got this beauty. What is funny is that it looks almost exactly like the instructions on page 4 0f 15 on how not to do it!! Thanks guys for the help.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: SS Loss of Power & Regain