SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

The SS was shaking this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 AM

The SS was shaking this morning!

We got over a foot of snow here in NJ over the weekend. With the high winds, a lot of snow blew into places it normally wouldn't. This morning I cleaned off the SS before heading out. On the way to work, as I approached freeway speeds, the SS started shaking violently. The sun roof was even rattling and I thought I must have a flat tire or something worse.

So I pulled over to look at the tires and they looked fine. Then I checked the wheels and found a little bit of snow caked into the middle part on two wheels. I tried to get most of it out as best as possible (while not destroying my gloves with the dirt and grime on the wheel). After proceeding to work, the vibration was substantially less.

It really is amazing how something small like this can create such an imbalance in a performance tire. I'm hoping the rest of the snow melts away in the wheels today before I head home!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 AM

same deal

same thing yesterday on my commute down 684!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:07 AM

I had something like that happen a couple weeks ago too. I have had damaged tires do the same so it worried me until I was able to clean it up and had the vibration go away.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM

Poor you over there in NJ. I noticed it not as bad when I would leave driveways or unplowed area's too. It was a bit shocking at first.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi
Poor you over there in NJ. I noticed it not as bad when I would leave driveways or unplowed area's too. It was a bit shocking at first.
A co-worker in Monmouth county NJ got 34" of snow from the nor'easter. They still haven't plowed his street, as is the case in much of NYC.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Happened to me last Feb...got some snow in the spokes then it froze over night. Went to the spray wash and viola! Shaking gone.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
A co-worker in Monmouth county NJ got 34" of snow from the nor'easter. They still haven't plowed his street, as is the case in much of NYC.
Yup my friends are ourside of north plansfield, not sure what the total was but they said today still digging. Reminding me of last year already, hopefully we won't get 70+ inches in 3 weeks again in febuary.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi
Yup my friends are ourside of north plansfield, not sure what the total was but they said today still digging. Reminding me of last year already, hopefully we won't get 70+ inches in 3 weeks again in febuary.
could be worse - could be in Buffalo or Syracuse!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:00 PM

yeah that is one of the downfalls of the SS rims in the winter.

i even put stock 16" rims and tires on for the winter and had the dreaded shake due to ice in the rims. Guess i shoulda put the hubcaps on.. but it looks better without.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 PM

Ice in the wheels is a very common thing with FWD cars and larger wheels. It happens a lot more on many cars than you think.

For once it is nice to see someone else get all the snow. We are do for 50 degeees and rain this weekend. It will be nice to see the grass for the first time since Thanksgiving.

Not far from me they have already had almost 80 inches of snow this winter. I think we are pushing over 30 inches so far. The sooner lake Erie freezes over the better and cut off the lake effect snow.

Quick Reply: The SS was shaking this morning!