SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Time for new front brake pads. Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM

fedoro>ebc
its night and day.

if you have problems warping rotors
get the floating ones ^_^ from powell
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Omnigear
fedoro>ebc
its night and day.

if you have problems warping rotors
get the floating ones ^_^ from powell
Your opinion.

I have used both and have my own opinion.

First off the rotor issue is not a warp there are other factors that cause the pulse. Read the threads on Rotor thickness variation including the The service bulletins on it. Also read the The proper way to seat and bed the pads to prevent the pad material from sticking to the rotors.

The reason many never fix their issue is they are not addressing the real problem.

Calipers already float so even if a rotor was warped it would move with rotor.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Omnigear
one thing not to cheap out is brakes and tires
i rather have pads that dust and wore out faster , but it
is there when it counts.
I still say it depends. I noticed no degradation in stopping with the "cheap" pads for everyday use. My point is if you are going to abuse them like many high-speed stops in a short period of time, then they may fade and not work as well as a higher cost pad. With the 4-wheel disks in this car, it can stop quick. Do whatever makes you most comfortable.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

I'm impressed with the rotors and pads I got from Brake performance.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM

The key to good pads are the quality of materials in them. Just because they may say Ceramic or Kevlar does not tell you how much of the material is ceramic or Kevlar. There is no rule that says what percentage of the pad has to hold of the material to make the claim.

Cheaper pads tend to have more cheap metals or cheap carbon fillers. Even some non cheap pads have a lot of cheap carbon fillers. The cheap carbon keep production cost down and make the pads more profitable. High carbon content also makes your wheels black with a lot of dust too.

Most people never reach the full ability of their pads as in the performance aspect. Now many of us do reach the wear and dust limits of the cheaper pads.

The key to any pads high performance is how fast the material transfers heat. The hotter the pad the poorer the performance. Now some cheaper pads may stop as fast as some othe pads but you will pay the price in wear and dust. Carbon can transfer heat well but it also wears faster and is dirty.

If you don't mind less miles and dirty wheels there are many well performing cheap pads.

The greatest issue today is that most people need to catch up with modern pads. Things have changed as well as some braking systems. Too many fail to understand it is more than just changing pads anymore. Not long ago there was little more than organic pads and Metalic. Also with the old systems bedding them is was not as much of an issue as they are today as back then you drug the pads on the rotors and left the hub bearing lose to kick the pads back. Today the pads pull back and the last thing you want is a loose hub bearing or the pads bouncing off the rotors when not engaged.

The key is to buy the pad that will make you the most happy. Often the average SS owner wants good stopping and less dust. The Red EBC are about as good for this as you will find. There are several others that will do the same. Now if you can live with more dust some of the cheaper brands will work fine for you too. You may get less miles too but you also paid less. They are not bad pads but they also offer less than the others in some areas.

Now if you are racing that is another whole deal all together. These pads will not work well cold and will really transfer heat and often will cool too much under light driving making for poor stopping. They also will eat up many rotors but in racing most will toss rotors after one race anyways. EBC yellow pads are a good example of this as are many other high end racing pads.

The mid range heat pads then to give the best all around performance. Most are only offered as a moderate priced pad. It goes back to the old saying you get what you pay for. Some cheap cars may be as fast as some expensive sports cars but the fact is the sports car usally has less compromise in its performance over the long run.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 AM

Hyper6 is correct when he says I want good stopping with less dust. I do not drive my car like a race car. Just a daily driver with some pep now and again. I have a little one now too (5 months) so I've slowed down even more. My biggest concern is the dust and I hate how dirty my new wheels get!

I set up an appointment with the local Chevy dealer. They have a special for $75 installed for ceramic pads. Thought I'd try them out and report back.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!!

Brian
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM

I’m curious as to your rating of the ceramic pads, JAMIROBri. I’ve heard these are pretty good.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 PM

I have noted the pads on my new Terrain must be of a better material. They will haul the 4,000 pound vehicle down in a very short distance with little fade. Also there is very little dust.

They look as they may be a ceramic pad but I am not sure. The Rotors are also very large on the Terrain.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM

The new ceramic pads from GM seem fine. I was a bit bummed when I needed new rotors at only 36k miles. I asked if they were covered under my extended warranty, but they said no. Oh well, hopefully I see less brake dust from these pads.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM

Don't know about the GM pads, let us know how they do.

Anymore I do not keep rotors. I toss them at each brake change. Stock Bendix rotors are not much and it helps I get a discount, it's a no brainer when I can do 4 Bendix for around $50.

To be honest it was not all that long ago that most cars needed front brakes at 30,000 miles unless you did a lot of highway miles. It is amazing how some systems are really updated with the new ABS systems being used to help give more brake life.

Quick Reply: Time for new front brake pads. Where to go?