SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Unexplained rattle, possible Turbo issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Unexplained rattle, possible Turbo issue?

think I may have the same type of noise and I picked on another thread about it but no response. I have a rattle that I hear after I have say run down to the store, few miles, turn it off. when I get back in and start I have a rattle type sound that does go away once I get moving again. almost like the knock sensor not fixing the "knock" until I get some throttle into it, then it goes away. has happened quite a few times and I was thinking it might be the timing chain tensioner pin that some have had issues with. you might want to check that out
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by paperboy72
think I may have the same type of noise and I picked on another thread about it but no response. I have a rattle that I hear after I have say run down to the store, few miles, turn it off. when I get back in and start I have a rattle type sound that does go away once I get moving again. almost like the knock sensor not fixing the "knock" until I get some throttle into it, then it goes away. has happened quite a few times and I was thinking it might be the timing chain tensioner pin that some have had issues with. you might want to check that out
Yours sounds more like a turbo problem to me. I am no help with that. Try starting a thread.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Deceased

Started a new thread for you paperboy72, will send you a PM with a direct link.

My first question would be have you pulled the codes, something may be stored without triggering the CEL.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by paperboy72
My turbo sounds funky cold...I rarely drive without it running for 5 minutes or so(remote start)...

I haven't heard in a while because of the warm up routine...I think that may be your noise but who knows over the internet...I think its related to cold oil being in the turbo... If you listen to a cold start, It goes through a cycle to warm up the turbo I think
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM

thanks for the help 843de! let me try to explain this better.

If I have been driving around and stop at say a gas station, fuel up, get back in and start the car and thats when I hear the sound. sounds like a knock, stays there till I get moving again. even if I am less than 10 mph it is there until I get going over 25 or so, then it works itself out almost like a knock sensor fixes it so to speak.
no codes are being thrown, and it does not happen all the time.
almost sounds like it is in the bottom end of the motor, like the oil pump not pumping right.
could be nothing as it does not do it all the time, but being somewhat of a to this vehicle figured give the experts on this forum a shout and see what comes back.
I saw on a couple of threads that maybe the cam sensors or the timing chain actuator might be a culprit, but not sure.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM

also let me say that I have had numerous turbo cars, and I never run a turbo car till it warms up, nor shut it down till it cools off a little. I am 41 and take excellent care of my vehicles, do as much tinkering on them as I can before I will take them somewhere!
just want to make sure y'all dont think I am a slouch!!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM

i am re-bumping my old thread here to get some new insight. I still have the weird rattly noise, it only happens when i have been up and running for awhile, stop at say a gas station, get back in and start it up and there it is. It does not go away till i get moving at least over 10MPH, goes away like the knock sensor is fixing it! i am thinking it is the cam shaft sensor or actuator sensor.
NOW i have a new weird sound! on start up on a cold day, like now, after sitting over night, it stumbles so to speak. On start up, about 5-10 seconds later it stumbles, almost dies, and then comes back and sounds fine, like it lost fuel for a second. I have listened to the you tube video of the clicking and thats not what i have, it sounds like the timing chain is stretching and bouncing back so to speak. No codes are thrown. It only does this on cold starts after sitting overnight from what i can tell. 2009 SS auto
one last question, our cars dont really stay up in the RPM's when warming up do they? mine calms down and idles normal and my temps are only like 70 degrees!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

I have a 09 auto....they idle down in less that 60 seconds even when cold, but still makes the clicking sound for at least another 60 seconds, the fuel pump click. I removed the tensioner and installed the newer one, BUT...mine already had it.