Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

filling tires with nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 AM

filling tires with nitrogen

A Chevy dealer local to me has an advertised special...they'll fill all 5 tires on your car (obviously including the spare) with nitrogen for $50. They claim better gas mileage. Is this true? Has anyone ever done this and noticed an increase in mileage?

Why do I think this is a bunch of
Old 06-13-2008, 11:55 AM

I haven't done this on mine, but they do claim it gets better mileage. The nitrogen doesn't escape like regular air does, and it won't flucuate in the weather from cold to hot. That's how it increases your mileage. It won't give you five more per gallon, just maybe even it out more.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM

Make sure you get the scented Nitro, I use vanilla in mine
Old 06-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ccsubruce
A Chevy dealer local to me has an advertised special...they'll fill all 5 tires on your car (obviously including the spare) with nitrogen for $50. They claim better gas mileage. Is this true? Has anyone ever done this and noticed an increase in mileage?

Why do I think this is a bunch of
dont know any of the answers but, I was in West Memphis 3 weeks ago and saw a tire store offering nitrogen for $5.00 per tire but i got to busy and forgot to go back and check it out....

would like to know from someone that has it in their tires if IT really does make a difference..... all i can see it would do is make a steady pressure.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:35 PM

You will only get better gas mileage with nitrogen if you also use (insert favorite brand here) of snake oil in your crankcase.

Normal air is 78% nitrogen.

All gases react to the "gas laws" established by science regarding temperatures and pressure.

It is pretty much impossible to remove any trace of other gases when doing this.

The molecular size of nitrogen molecules vs. oxygen is almost negligent.

Bottom line: Just check your tire pressure regularly and keep you money!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 PM

I prefer to fill my tires with helium. Overinflation makes the car float like it's on flubber! Makes a much higher pitched sound when you burn out.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:52 PM

The place I get my tyres done just does it... I guess they feel it makes enough of a difference, that's all they use. I'm sure they pass the price on in some way or another but they don't have a separate line item for it.

I'd still say it's probably more like 98% marketing and 2% substance.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=

Bottom line: Just check your tire pressure regularly and keep you money! [/QUOTE]

I agree with that, i do that ..... when i get an oil change i always have them check my air pressure but what amazes me is that some of the time not all of the time those guys dont even put the correct pressure in the tires.. So i checked them myself right when i pick it up and if its not correct i go back in and make them do it right.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM

One thing to really pay attention to is....

In the "old days" with taller tires, a tire with low air pressure was usually very noticeable. Not any more with the lower aspect ratio tires of today.

For example: A few months ago I checked the pressure in my 18" 40 series tires and found one at about 1/2 the recommended pressure. Visually, because of the low sidewall height, it was NOT noticeable!

Shoot, had a nail in it!

Just remember that the lower the profile of the tire, the less noticeable a low tire will be!

I still swear by my "secret" gas formula for tire inflation, though. But I will share it with you, "if" you can find it... 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% other gases!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:16 PM

A few HHR have done this but at $50 you are better off saving that money for your next tank of gas.

It's more important that you have optimal tire pressure and check it frequently as opposed to putting in nitrogen and expecting huge benefits. Some of the benefits of nitrogen are a reduction of tire pressure loss because of the larger molecule size but don't be fooled into thinking that you shouldn't still be checking your pressure. Another benefit should be a reduction in tire degradation from the inside out and also wheel corrosion and a reduction in tire pressure variation with temperature. Nitrogen is supposed to help in these situations because it contains and retains less moisture (ie. when you blow air into your tire some moisture gets in there causing problems.) Of course if you just deflate the tires and fill them with nitrogen moisture will still be inside the tire and on the rim.

Overall the benefits are likely to be slim to none and the price you are quoted is quite steep (I assume most of the price is probably due to a "purge" being done in order to try to remove most of the moisture.)

Keep the $50, check your tire pressure every fill up and you'll see the same results.

Nitrogen has applications in racing technology, aircraft tires and maybe even the trucking industry but it's just extra revenue for dealerships and tire shops when it comes to passenger vehicles.

I once found a GM note about nitrogen, I couldn't find the direct GM source again but I have found it posted on GM Inside News forum.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...already-51446/

Quick Reply: filling tires with nitrogen