Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Gots some new shoes..... Good score

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Gots some new shoes..... Good score

As most probably know, I've been keeping an eye out locally on tires. The Goodyears with about 26K miles on them had maybe 5k of life left. I've been eyeing a set of Sumitomo's locally, used set with about 9/32 tread for $310. But I kept waiting since I didn't need them "today".

Well, the wait paid off today. Late yesterday I saw a set of Cont DWS's, brand new, 245/40R18s for $400. I called up the shop and apparently someone ordered them, along with a 5th for the spare. Drove it around the block and didn't like them for what ever reason. They pulled them off. So I went and looked at them and the paint markings were still on there, so I told them I would take the 4. Well, low and behold, they scratched one rim and gave me the 5th tire. So 5 new DWS's for $400. I guess the 5th will be my road hazard warranty....

The 245's fit nicely on the 7" rim. They are not much wider than the Eagle GT's in a 225. Only drove back to the office so far, but that was also on I285 around Atlanta, and I will say they are smoother than the Eagles. No rubbing at all. Shop kepp telling me they would rub, but I told them to mount one and that is the only way to know for sure. I think they are maybe 1/2-3/4" wider, so I still have plenty of room.

No hurry bargin shoping paid off..... Now I just need to do a little wet sanding to smooth out the scratch. At least they are polished, and not painted or chromed. A pain, but easier to work with in this case. No pics, tires are filty and it's supposed to rain today and tomorrow. But I'll get it cleaned up soon. Really not much to see, barely shorter than the 225/45s and slightly wider.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

Nice find.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Great find and price. I paid almost $700 for four 17" DWSs for my Altima. They were worth every penny at that price.

Great tires. Quiet , handled well in rain and on dry pavement. Rarely drove it in snow though.

They totally changed the handling of the car for the better. The stock bridgestones were terrible, but I loved the Contis.

I wish I could get them in 245/50/20s for my CX9, but they don't make them in that size.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Deceased

Sounds like you got a great deal, you'll love the Conti's, fantastic tires in all conditions.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Good deal, I was in the high $800's for the 18" Eagle GT's without roadhazzard. Mind you, the GT's look sweet, perform excellent on wet and dry, I wouldn't suggest them for snow. The few times I've been out I've really noticed the whizzmo's and gizzmo's in the car working hard to keep her on the straight and narrow.

Jim
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats Solman !!! Nice score indeed !!

"So 5 new DWS's for $400. I guess the 5th will be my road hazard warranty...."

Right place at the right time !!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Well you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true. Well this morning went into the garage to find 4 flats.... Place I got the tires from is 35 miles away, so I fired up the compressor and aired them back and headed to Discount Tire about 7 miles away. Thought maybe they didn't seat them right, bad valve stems, whatever. I was willing to pay them to correct the problem.

Got to Discount and even though I didn't buy from them, they said they could still sell me the road hazard certificates for $17 each. Though, might as well. Well they checked the bead seal, good. Checked the valve stems, good. So they just dunked them in the big ole water bucket. Tire 1, pin hole in the sidewall. , grabbed the 5th tire out the back and said use this. Well needless to say, 5 new tires, each with pin holes.... Not so great a deal anymore. Called the shop I got them from and told them I would be heading back as soon as my old Eagle GT's were back on. I got a refund and they offered to do a free emission test that I had done late Dec, thank's @sshole....

But, those at Discount did again show why I like doing business with them. They knew I had been looking for tires and that I needed to save a few bucks this time due to other circumstances. So they told me if I buy two of the DWS's (245/40 again) they would give me two for free... So I pulled out the card and placed the order. They are supposed to be in tomorrow. So in the end, I didn't get 5 for $400, but saving $360 still wasn't a bad deal. And they are close to the house and after dealing with them in the past, I know I will be treated good.

But, in the brief 60 miles of use I had on the DWS's. They ride much smoother than the Eagle GT's. With luck last longer. I've got about 27K on them with about 4/32 tread left. Those will be listed on Craigslist after I make sure the second new DWS's hold air.....

Needless to say, my morning sucked......
Old 02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Deceased

I just wonder if the person who custom ordered the first set of five tires then suddenly decided they "didn't like them", would also be the person who made them unusable. In the four years I mounted tires at a Firestone store while putting myself through college, I never had a tire with a leak in the sidewall(no matter the size, pinhole or larger), that wasn't caused by the person who owned the tires.

Of all the hundreds(maybe thousands, I did up to 50 in a day)of tires I put on, I can only think of one tire that was bad off the shelf, but five tires....somebody did that on purpose, plain and simple.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
I just wonder if the person who custom ordered the first set of five tires then suddenly decided they "didn't like them", would also be the person who made them unusable. In the four years I mounted tires at a Firestone store while putting myself through college, I never had a tire with a leak in the sidewall(no matter the size, pinhole or larger), that wasn't caused by the person who owned the tires.

Of all the hundreds(maybe thousands, I did up to 50 in a day)of tires I put on, I can only think of one tire that was bad off the shelf, but five tires....somebody did that on purpose, plain and simple.
I don't know, I agree it's odd, and with 5, There was nothing visible otherwise.

Thought at Discount was the installed pinched the sidewall mounting them. But I don't know that either.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

What a trip !!! The odds of that are higher than hitting the Lottery (imo)..

I agree with Mike, 1st buyer might have had a beef with that place, or was just a nut ?? That was deliberate..

Not 5 outta 5.. No way. If ALL 5 sidewalls were pinched by tire machine, there would be a mark on one of em at least..

Anyhow Solman, Certainly hope tomorrow is a much better day for ya..
You still scored man !!!