Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Love my Firestones!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 AM

I didn't mind the Firestones until this morning. I've had a Delta platform car before, for 4 winters (an '05 Saturn Ion) so I know what they feel like in the snow. The HHR feels sturdier than the Ion so I figured it would do fine. The Interstate was plowed but with a little snow still on it, not that you could see it, but it wasn't completely dry. So I start out slow (about 40) and work my way up. I get to 45 and the ass end starts wagging....then the whole car is having some serious yaw problems. Side to side, rotating at about the middle of the car, so I slow down to 40 and it stops. I figure it was just the road as there are some not-so-smooth spots on I29. I get up to 45 again and the hippy-hippy shake starts in again. Just like my Ion did until I got rid of the Firestone Affinity's it came with. Hate 'em, hate 'em. They're smooth as heck in dry pavement and in the rain, the ride/handling compromise is alright, but once the temp goes down and there's ice on the road it feels like all four tires are trying to race each other at the same time. Not very confidence-inspiring. I'll be switching to Goodyears next month at 45K.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Happy with Firestones....

I replaced my Factory tire with the exact same tires that came on it. They are quiet, and have been no problem at 45000 miles. They still had enough tread to pass inspection, but I always replace tires sooner than most and it always pays in the long run. I priced tires everywhere and did my homework first and the Firestones won in price and service.

I realize we do not have snow and ice very often in N E Texas, but when in the moutains in Colorado even then did not have issues with the tires in snow.

To each his own, but with help from members make it better!