Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Michelin X-Ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 AM

Michelin X-Ice

Well, I put on a set of Michelin X-Ice tires yesterday given the fact that we here in the northeast have had more than our usual share of snow and ice storms in the past month and the big factor was when the wife drove it in our first big storm. Well lets just say she was not happy with how the car handled.
I have not really had a problem with it because I use to ice race for fun in my younger days and you really never loose that "feel" for whats under you once you ice race. But to keep her happy I bought a wheel package and I must say that when I left the tire dealer it was freezing rain out and I could really fell the difference from when I drove in with my factory tires and when I left with the X-Ice tires on. it was like, WOW! I like these!

They put on P205/60R15 on black steel wheels with mag looking hub caps, tire pressure sensors, free rotation and swap back to summer tires. as long as I own the X-ice. for $830. I know I could have done better at tire rack but I have no place to change these out in this weather.
I also told them to remove the clips from the threaded wheel studs of the front rotors and torque the nuts to 100 ft lbs.

At least I know that when she takes it and the weather is not that good that she will be more than OK with these on, and I will also feel more confident on my trek to and from work at 3am when the plow trucks are just getting done with their coffee and thinking about putting the blade down.

SO, I highly recommend these and any other dedicated show tire for your ride!

Now to get me some winter blades...................

Last edited by Freightliner; 01-09-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Let me know how you like them. I'm going to have to do something Next Year with mine. I really should get some now i just don't have the money.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM

I put on a set of Michelin X-ICE II at the start of winter here in Michigan. What a difference I agree with you. I live on an unpaved road and drive 26 miles to work. The only problem I have is now I need to get them for the wife's car. I got mine at Tire Rack on 15" steel rims with pressure sensors for around $650.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 AM

I just ran what I got through Tire Rack and their price was $651. PLUS shipping at $145. = $796. !!!

Pl;us there would havd been state sales tax if delivered to my home in Mass. I bought them in New Hampshire, no tax except the Fed. excise tax so that would have brought it up to at least $800.

I only paid $830. and that was with sensors and hub caps! Plus mounting and sensor re-set. and free rotation as long as I own the tires.
I think I did OK.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM

and you shopped locally, supporting local infrastructure....
Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 PM

How does the outer diameter of those guys compare to the stock tires?

From what I can find, there aren't many snow tires with identical outer diameters to the stock tires.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 AM

From what I could get by looking at the specs' at Tire Rack, the X-Ice are almost one inch shorter in hight than the stock tires.

Originally Posted by tplyons
How does the outer diameter of those guys compare to the stock tires?

From what I can find, there aren't many snow tires with identical outer diameters to the stock tires.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Freightliner
From what I could get by looking at the specs' at Tire Rack, the X-Ice are almost one inch shorter in hight than the stock tires.
Wouldn't that mess with your speedometer, odometer, and all that fun stuff?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 AM

Not enough to worry about. Besides, a smaller tire will say I am going faster than I really am.

Originally Posted by tplyons
Wouldn't that mess with your speedometer, odometer, and all that fun stuff?