Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

need advise on tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 PM

need advise on tires

Well it's about time to replace the stock Firestone's so I have been doing some shopping around, and it seems the more tires I look at the more I can't decide. I found a good price on B F Goodrich traction T/As online(128.56 each + mounting, balancing, road hazard), however they are a directional tire, and I'm not sure if that's the best tire for me. I know they have superior traction, but I don't think the tread wear would be very long, and I would like these tires to last a while, especially given the amount of miles I travel everyday. I have also priced Big O Euro Tour tires, and they have a good tread wear and warranty(40,000 miles), and are not directional, but are a bit more pricey ($607). I found some Cooper tires for a very cheap price ($525 total) with a 60,000 mile tread warranty, but that one sounds too good to be true, and I don't know anything about the quality of Cooper tires. To simplify the questions, I would like to know what every ones opinion on directional tires, and if anyone has experience with Big O or Cooper tires. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 PM

Cooper tires aren't bad as tires go.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Check tirerack.com they have some good deals.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 AM

sumitomo grip excellent in both wet and dry. Good prices on tire rack on h and z rated.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM

I checked tirerack and their prices were higher on the traction T/A's than Walmart, and with Walmart I don't pay shipping, they are delivered to my local Walmart and installed there. They had others, but I don't think they can beat the prices I have already. I've narrowed it down to three, the Traction T/A's at Walmart, Cooper CS4 at a local shop, and the Big O Euro Tour, also at a local shop. the Traction T/As and Coopers both have 60,000 mile warranty, and the Big O's have 40,000, but that is 40,000 full coverage, not pro rate. Tough decision. The thing I'm not sure about with the traction T/As is they are directional, and I've never owned directional tires, and not sure how they wear, since you can't rotate them on the opposite side of the car. I also don't know much about the quality of Cooper and Big O tires, and have not been able to find many customer reviews of those two tires online. I was hoping someone here may have had personal experience with these tires and can share their experience with them. Thanks again everyone for your input.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 PM

back in the days i always put on coopers on the several volkswagen scirroco's i owned they stuck to the road good and wore evenly and true to warranty for miles but always considered them a high middle performance tire at an affordable price. hopefully their quality hasn't changed in the past several yrs since i used them. they should be a good choice hope that helps
Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 AM

So, Mizzou, how many miles did you get on the original tires??

Also, I would go with Michelins.

Vernon
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Vernon
So, Mizzou, how many miles did you get on the original tires??

Also, I would go with Michelins.

Vernon
I'm at 43,000+ miles now. They still have some tread left, but not enough to get me through winter comfortably.

Also I have decided on the BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. This will be my first experience with directional tires, so we willl see how that goes. They have a AA traction rating (the best) for wet and snow, and have a 60,000 treadlife warranty. Going through Walmart I don't pay shipping, and mounting is also included. Best deal by far that I have found.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM

Not a bad deal. I have no idea what directional tires are. Hopefully they will work for you. Keep us posted. I am up to 32,000 on mine and have been thinking about getting some new rubber soon.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Directional tires mean that the tread only rolls in 1 direction when Mounted. The tread pattern on all 4 tires rolls the same way. When you rotate them you just move the fronts to the back and vice versa. No Criss crossing tires

Goose

Quick Reply: need advise on tires