Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Nitrogen Filled Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM

Nitrogen Filled Tires

Howdy! Just wondering if anyone knows about this. I have a 2011 HHR purchased in October 2010. I'm very meticulous about keeping my tires inflated and monitor their pressure daily. I've been kind of shocked that in this whole time, almost 8 months later, I have never had to put air in my tires. They stay at 30psi.

The other day I went to look at my valve and on the cover is says "N2", which I assume means it's filled with nitrogen??

My question is how do I refill them with nitrogen if they ever need it? Do they tend to hold the air better than regular air?

This is all new to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Deceased

Nitrogen filled tires will maintain their pressure longer than those filled with normal air because the oxygen in normal air slowly migrates through the rubber of the tire. Nitrogen being an inert gas is more stable and much less likely to migrate through the tires over time. Another benefit of a nitrogen fill is lower tire temperatures due to nitrogen's temperature stability. When the time comes to top the tires up just head to any good tire shop in your area, most these days offer nitrogen fills on new tires, and they can top your current tires up either for free or a nominal fee.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the info! Does your 2011 have the same thing?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Deceased

All the tires on my vehicles are nitrogen filled from the '11 back to the '37, its worth it just to keep tire temperatures down in our "toasty" Southern summers. And yes my '11 was factory filled with nitrogen, nice to have with the sometimes finicky TPMS system.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM

All our vehicles have nitrogen inflated tires ever since our local "pay one price delivered" tire stores started offering it as part of any new tire sale. I was happy to see my new HHR (to be delivered tomorrow morning!) also had that already. Now I'm able to get full coverage for the factory tires from the tire store for $15/tire. They will warranty them as if they had sold them new. That means free rotations every 5K, free flat repairs, free nitrogen fills and full road hazard protection. The first flat or two - almost guaranteed when you're dealing with Firestones - will cover that cost and the rest is gravy. Since I'll only be using the factory rubber in the cold months it's even more important that they hold the pressure. Nitrogen is also supposed to help keep the tires from drying out. All in all a good thing.

The only negative we found since making that change was the inability of shops in the South to fill them. I hope by now they have the equipment but at least two years ago when we tried to have it checked/filled in Orlando they looked at us like we're from Mars. They had never heard of such a thing.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM
geg

Manchester, NH nitrogen

http://articles.directorym.com/Nitro...chester_NH.htm

http://www.getnitrogen.org/
Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 AM

If they are giving you nitrogen for free, go for it. If they are charging you, pass. On a street driven vehicle, it's just a waste of money. There is no benefit.

Remember, air is 78% nitrogen.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Thanks for all the posts guys. I'll look around some to see what I can find here. I like that I haven't had to fill them at all in 8 months. I do have a inflator but don't miss having to do it once a month.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM

The benefit of nitrogen filled tires is,
1. Nitrogen molecules are larger than those in atmospheric air, so tires will tend to hold pressure longer.
2. Nitrogen is mosture free, which is just better for tires.

Having said that, through nitrogen filled tires have marginal advantages, running atmospheric air certainly will not harm your tires. Its been done since the first pneumatic tires were manufactured in the late 1800's.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by 843de
And yes my '11 was factory filled with nitrogen.
GM doesn't put nitrogen in tires, but your dealer probably did.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Filled Tires