Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 PM

if you're going between 28-36 it seems like something else was wrong.

Also, shouldn't you be running around 33-35 cold in them anyways?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 AM

Pure nitrogen is a waste for passenger cars.

Some good and accurate comments above, except...

Since when has nitrogen been exempted from the Gas Laws?? It expands and contracts with temp changes just like any other gas, including water vapor.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Look, If you are racing and solid predictable pressure increase over temperature rise is important to predict tire growth, stagger, and shock rate of the tire, nitrogen is worth it.

If you want the next best option, get your tires filled at the place where you bought the tires or your dealer. USUALLY (not always) these people have excellent compressor systems with a good air dryer and the humidity of the compressed air is contant and low. MOISTURE in the compressed air is your enemy.:twothumbs

If you have a good compressor at home, spend a couple of sheckles for a dryer on it. The drier the air, the better for filling tires, as well as trouble free operation of air tools etc.

Don't get air from those $0.25 machines. The have no storage tank, no dryer, and you get really humid compressed air.

If you are driving the car on public highways, its a waste of money, but hey, it's your money.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Nitrogen gas & 'air' are the same, right? No, not exactly.

We use nitrogen gas in our shock absorbers. We could not use common air as it would expand too much. This adds unwanted damping forces to the shock. Plus 'air' has water in it. Nitrogen is an inert gas & is devoid of moisture. It is very cold too!
When used in your tires, it should help keep the pressure constant.
When I got my BFG's installed, they used nitrogen to fill the tires (at no extra cost). If I had to pay for it, I don't know if I could justify the extra expense.
All the tire dealer claims of better ride, handling etc are essentially true only in the fact that the tire pressure ramains constant.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 AM

I said it once and I'll say it again....

Since when has nitrogen been exempted from the Gas Laws?? It expands and contracts with temp changes just like any other gas, including water vapor.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Nitrogen is a waste of money for street driven vehicles. I changed a set of tires on a Dodge monday who spent the money for the nitrogen, his tires were consistently between 11-13 lbs low. Unless your on a racetrack or driving a semi truck your wasting money on nitrogen.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by wxman
Wow. And I thought $.50 for air was a lot.

ps..have you ever seen the size of a molecule? It's small whether it's O2 or N2. They measure it in picometers. That's .000000000001 meters. If the tire is leaking, well, a molecule of nitrogen ain't gonna plug it.
The van der Waals radius between the two molecules is a mere 3 pm. For leakage through an inch of steel over 100,000 years this may make a few seconds of difference, but for a tire it is less than neglegable.

The only difference that could possibly have an effect is oxidation which will deteriorate tires and wheels over time. Still, longer than the shelf life of either. Use that mone for a nice dinner or two.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:02 PM

In a race car it is ok. But in a HHR it is a BIG WASTE OF $$$$$$
Old 10-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Founding Member

Joe you told us this once.

Originally Posted by JoeR
Screw nitrogen!!

I use helium in my tires.... Makes the car much lighter. A lighter car is faster! (Joe's Law)

Old 10-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Less than 'air'

Originally Posted by JoeR
I said it once and I'll say it again....

Nobody is saying nitrogen is exempt from any laws Doc. All we're saying is it expands & contracts less than common 'air' out of a gas station air hose. 'Less' is the key word here, not 'exempt'.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Tire Inflation