Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:26 PM

I have used a mixture of 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases for years now and it has worked great for me. After you get the ratio's figured out, it is pretty easy to maintain.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
Paying for nitrogen is like an I.Q. test. Buy it and you fail.
Is it all about the money or is it just about nitrogen just being crap?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Back in the mid '80's when ATC's and ATV's first came out, we put nitrogen in the tires and it worked great. You could run them season to season without any noticeable pressure loss. But we were running about 3PSI per tire. I worked at an aircraft maintenance outfit at the time and it was easy to come by.

Temperature and altitude differential at 3PSI made the world of difference, but when were talking 10x the pressure, the temp and alt differential is much wider spread and it's probably not worth it if you're paying for it.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Temperature and altitude differential at 3PSI made the world of difference, but when were talking 10x the pressure, the temp and alt differential is much wider spread and it's probably not worth it if you're paying for it.
So are you suggesting that if it were FREE you would see the benefit and use it?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Yes. There is a good reason that it is used in aircraft tires.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Yes. There is a good reason that it is used in aircraft tires.
Nice, an honest answer. I might suggest when considering nitrogen, not to dwell on nitrogen but to consider the down sides to just using air with all of the negative properties. There really are no negatives to nitrogen. None.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 PM

I've heard many times that there's a good reason for aircraft to use nitrogen. Never heard the reason though.

So...
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires nitrogen in all commercial aircraft tires to eliminate the potential for water vapor (inherent in normal compressed air) from freezing at high altitudes.
...unless it gets to -30 where you live, you probably don't need to worry about water vapor freezing and affecting the wheel balance. Those darn gas laws again.
(That was a good guess from another forum.) But...

the actual FAA directive...
To eliminate the possibility of a chemical reaction between atmospheric oxygen and volatile gases from the tire inner liner producing a tire explosion, accomplish the following, unless already accomplished:

A. Within 180 days after the effective date of this AD, to ensure that all aircraft tires mounted on braked wheels do not contain more than 5 percent oxygen by volume
...I read that as meant to prevent oxygen corrosion leading to catastrophic tire failure or fire. Seems reasonable, especially considering the rims are made of magnesium alloy.

It only applies to braked wheels. Not all tires. And, only applies to very large airliners, not all aircraft. Such as these specifically listed: Applies to Airbus Industries Models A300 and A310; Boeing Models 707, 720, 727, 737, 747, 757, and 767; British Aerospace Models BAe 146 and BAC 1-11; Lockheed Model L-1011; and McDonnell Douglas Models DC-8, DC-9 (includes MD-80 series), and DC-10

Nowhere do I read anything about using nitrogen to maintain pressure longer, or increase ride comfort. Both of which I believe is bunk. Nor do FAA regulations specifically require nitrogen, only that (corrosive) oxygen be no more than 5% in the tires on aircraft above a certain weight.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by wxman
I've heard many times that there's a good reason for aircraft to use nitrogen. Never heard the reason though.

So...

...unless it gets to -30 where you live, you probably don't need to worry about water vapor freezing and affecting the wheel balance. Those darn gas laws again.
(That was a good guess from another forum.) But...

the actual FAA directive...

...I read that as meant to prevent oxygen corrosion leading to catastrophic tire failure or fire. Seems reasonable, especially considering the rims are made of magnesium alloy.

It only applies to braked wheels. Not all tires. And, only applies to very large airliners, not all aircraft. Such as these specifically listed: Applies to Airbus Industries Models A300 and A310; Boeing Models 707, 720, 727, 737, 747, 757, and 767; British Aerospace Models BAe 146 and BAC 1-11; Lockheed Model L-1011; and McDonnell Douglas Models DC-8, DC-9 (includes MD-80 series), and DC-10

Nowhere do I read anything about using nitrogen to maintain pressure longer, or increase ride comfort. Both of which I believe is bunk. Nor do FAA regulations specifically require nitrogen, only that (corrosive) oxygen be no more than 5% in the tires on aircraft above a certain weight.
Excuse me, am I missing something here? Are we saying that there are negatives to using Nitrogen? And are there positives to using air?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
Paying for nitrogen is like an I.Q. test. Buy it and you fail.
I apply the same criteria to lottery tickets.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
Excuse me, am I missing something here? Are we saying that there are negatives to using Nitrogen? And are there positives to using air?
Well other than price...no...there are no negatives to Nitrogen.

I think that is the point most have been making. No one said Nitrogen was inferior or worse than Air, they just said it wasn't worth the price compared to the benefits for your average passenger car.

So positives to using air is you can find it free at A LOT of locations. So even if you are losing some, you don't have to pay to refill it.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Tire Inflation