Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:30 AM

Just make sure they throw in the Cherry scent.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
Excuse me, am I missing something here? Are we saying that there are negatives to using Nitrogen? And are there positives to using air?
Yes, I'm saying it's not worth $7.00 a tire, or more. That's a huge negative to me. My point in posting is tying to bring back down to reality what nitrogen actually does for a passenger tire. And that's not much. The reason airlines use it does not apply to cars (corrosion is generally not an issue). It appears the biggest benefit of using it is that one gets to brag about his nitro tires.

As a positive, air is very inexpensive and more readily available. If that's your case for nitrogen as well, then go for it. I'd use it myself if it were free. I really don't have anything against nitrogen, just don't like the somewhat misleading facts and overstatements I hear about it.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:15 AM

I would not term it misleading. But I would term it over selling a small gain.

Nitrogen in tech terms is better but is it really a must have or that great of an advantage to have that it is worth the trouble of finding it and paying $28.

These are terms each driver needs to ask him or her self.

This is no different than oil and it just comes down to the end user.

What I am trying to say there is no wrong answer here and only the right one you make for yourself. So there is no need to argue the point here.

I myseld have better things to so with my money but if someone feels better using it so be it. Using it will not hurt anything and if it make one feel better then it is worth the $28 to them.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
if you're going between 28-36 it seems like something else was wrong.

Also, shouldn't you be running around 33-35 cold in them anyways?
If I were guessing, I would say the dealer left some water in the tires since I have only had the car for about a month and I had this issue from the start. I am not good at working on cars at all though, but that is the only thing that makes sense to me.

However, it is worth the 30 bucks to me (since I put chrome caps on too to match the wheels better) to simply not have the hassle of messing with it as well as the hassle of my wife calling me due to freaking out over the warning light.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM

If....you already have air WITH water in your tires, switching to nitrogen won't help much, unless the tire is broken down and dried.If you are starting with NEW tires then you can go straight to nitro.. its the water vapor at high temps that create the various air press changes ( IE running at 180 mph on 120 degree F track surfaces). Ever see ice pop out of the air valve while deflating? Thats the water freezing (venturi effect)
As a side note.. on aircraft the volitile part comes from a very cold tire turning to a very hot tire in a matter of seconds during/after landing.The inner tire lining has chemical vapors from manufacturing that can leech and when mixed with oxy AND heat,,yup, nasty explosion. Another note..FAA is not preventive, they are reactive, that is they correct something AFTER it happens, so this has happened, not a maybe could. Anyways..waste of time in a daily driver/pass/light truck/bicycle/motorcycle/wheelbarrow/beachball ...as for feeling slight handling improvements...you better sign on with Nascar, they need people like you!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Re. Nitrogen tire inflation

I live in hemet California where summer temps are 105 to 115f in the summer drive on asphalt you will note a diffrence.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:19 PM

Lol, my mind likes to wander. I'm thinking of all kinds of fun stuff you can do with sticky notes, cicadas, and a magnifying glass.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM

I think what most are saying is......if you have normal driving it may not be woth the extra $$$$$, if you want to do it...thanks for supporting our economy. Do what you want! It is your money, spend it as you like, and smile....you'll make more...I hope. Peace Jer
Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 PM

As a 20+ year veteran in aviation maintenance, nitrogen is all we use---and are allowed to use (per the FAA). The reason?? Aviation wheels are made of either aluminum or magnesium or a combination of both. Nitrogen does not have moisture in it and therefore is desireable for it's non-corrosive properties. It has also been proven to be slightly more stable than compressed air causing better air pressure stability in varying temperatures. Aircraft tires are subject to temps from ambient to well over 400 degrees and in long cruise flight, temps of -80F are common. As far as putting this in your car---it won't hurt a thing. It is one of the biggest tire marketing money making campaigns in years!!!! I get a chuckle everytime I hear a tire commercial advertising "nitrogen inflation" as if it's some huge advantage!! Spend your money on it if you wish........as said by many others, it's your money. Good ole compressed air is just fine for your ride. Hope this helps!!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jescobe82
As a 20+ year veteran in aviation maintenance, nitrogen is all we use---and are allowed to use (per the FAA). The reason?? Aviation wheels are made of either aluminum or magnesium or a combination of both. Nitrogen does not have moisture in it and therefore is desireable for it's non-corrosive properties. It has also been proven to be slightly more stable than compressed air causing better air pressure stability in varying temperatures. Aircraft tires are subject to temps from ambient to well over 400 degrees and in long cruise flight, temps of -80F are common. As far as putting this in your car---it won't hurt a thing. It is one of the biggest tire marketing money making campaigns in years!!!! I get a chuckle everytime I hear a tire commercial advertising "nitrogen inflation" as if it's some huge advantage!! Spend your money on it if you wish........as said by many others, it's your money. Good ole compressed air is just fine for your ride. Hope this helps!!
I believe ALMOST everything you stated. But can you explain how nitrogen PREVENTS CORROSION IN ALUMINUM OR MAGNESIUM WHEELS. I was under the impression that common moisture has very little effect, if any, on these two metals. That's one of the reasons why they are used in the marine industry.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Tire Inflation