Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Schrader 20008 TPMS Service Pack

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Schrader 20008 TPMS Service Pack

I'm getting ready for a set of Michelins from Costco, and I saw Amazon has the Schrader 20008 TPMS Service Pack that should fit my '09 LS Panel. These are the rubber valve stem that attachs to the sending unit. I don't want spring for the whole system, so these seem like a good idea for about $4 each. Has anyone had any experience with these?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:19 PM

Valve stems are valve stems. The ONLY difference these days is if they have the threaded fitting on the inside of the rim for the TPMS unit to screw into or not. I think you can get them from Zone/Advance/Pep/NAPA for around $5-6 and avoid the wait and/or postage. BTW, NAPA sells them to their good customers for about $2.99 each, old-fashioned stems go for about $0.90 each.

Brass is not cheap, especially Inside threaded brass with a matching brass screw.

But, what is wrong with your existing stems? They do not wear out anymore, and anyone that tells you different is getting a sales commission in one form or another (I used to get $1 each for the old ones). I have used the same stems for 100's of thousands of miles and 10's of years.

There are other opinions, but no facts have ever been presented to me other than the B.S. salesman training I got.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 PM

It has always been an industry standard to replace valve stems when replacing tires. The valve stems are rubber and do deteriorate over time much like tires do.

That is why tire build date codes are so important. Some shops were stocking tires too long and selling 5 year old tires as new.

I myself would consider replacing them or at least give them a good inspection. Four dollars a tire now Sure is better then a slow air leak later.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:24 AM

The only stems I've seen fail have either been broken on purpose or they were too long and broke when banging a curb or in the days of friction mounted wheel covers one could creep far enough to bust the stem.

If you bend the stem and see deep cracks you probably should replace it. However, be careful doing that because the TPMS stems can be broken if you are too aggressive about it. I emphasize deep because all of them can be shown to have cracks.

When they could be replaced for $1.95 it may have been worth the "peace of mind", but my local Firestone now wants upwards of $15 each + labor (more than balancing). And the salesman flat out either lied or was terminally uninformed about what was to be done.

Before TPMS the tire buster would most likely break the stem and replace it whether you paid for it or not. When TPMS came about the biggest fear up front was that one of the old guys in the back would just pop the stem and then the shop would have to eat $75-150 replacing the entire TPMS unit, they sometimes are part of the stem not screwed onto it (which shows you how the "industry standard" has changed).

Bottom line is: spend your money however you wish, but be informed.