Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 PM

Snow Tires

what kind of snows does everybody recommend for the HHR?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 PM

There have been other posts about snow, or winter tires. I'm still running my original Firestones. They work okay, as long as Mass Hiway sands early and plows often.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=winter+tires

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=winter+tires

you can message TomsHHR. I know he won't mind and he is a huge help around here. Good luck and welcome!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Well here's my thread on the Winterforce tire and wheel package I purchased from TireRack.com.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/pics-my-hhr-w-winterforce-tires-trailer-hitch-12472/

However, I've since taken them off. The main reason was noise, these are a very aggressive winter tread and I hadn't bought snow treads for some time, so I'm going to chaulk it up to inexperience on my part. That tire rode nice, handled a little bit sluggish, but was too much noise for me. I believe it would be a GREAT snow tire if you lived somewhere with snow on the road most of the time. I did drive them through about 5 in. of unplowed snow and it felt really stable.

I replaced them with another tire set from TireRack.com, I got the Bridgestone Blizzacks WS60 on their RIAL Como rim, what a world of difference on dry pavement in both noise and handling. Haven't had them in snow yet.

TomR
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 AM

I'm running Michelin Alpins on our family cruiser - chipped 2.0L turbo Jetta. I have to say they are phenomenal. They stop, go, and handle shockingly well in the ice and snow here in Chicagoland. They are a bit louder than your typical milktoast all-seasons, but it is worth it. All it takes is one emergency maneuver in the cold stuff and you'll know what I mean!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. I've had good success with Goodyear Fortrera's as all weather tires on other cars but when I went to buy them for the HHR was told they didn't come in a compatible size.