Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Snow tires on SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Snow tires on SS

Hello folks,
I have seen quite a few posts concerning snow tires.What is the advantage of going out and buying a whole new set of wheels that makes the vehicle look like hammered down hell for the winter?
16" rims???aw common now.I bought the SS for the way it looks.I live in Orange county NY and commute to Manhattan every morning (80 miles 1 way).I need snows.....I figured I would see a bit of good advice here as I have in the past.
I bought the Dunlop SP Winter Sport in the stock size and installed them on the stock wheels.
Why go through the BS of loosing the TPM's and ruining the looks of the car you just spent $23,000 on?The wheels wont be harmed by any snow removal chemicals,and other than the chance that the wider tires may plow a bit more,how often is the snow that deep anyways?
Is there a real valid reason for this or am i missing something here?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:40 AM

i think its easier to have two set of wheels..
i dont have this expirence with snow tires/wheels

BUT if you have a street legal drag car...
then i dont wanna have to go to discount tire on friday
afternoon to have my slicks mounted.. then have my
stock tires re-mounted on saturday morning..
just easier to have a second set to bolt on and take back off..

just my two cents
Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 AM

How much is it going to cost to changeover twice a year? You would be better off with narrower wheels and tires when driving through snow.
The stock wheels will show the effects of winter use. The finish, which isn't that good to start with, will take a beating from the sand and salt.
I bought aftermarket wheels, tires and tpms for the summer and put my OEM steel wheels, tires with tpms back on for the winter.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:46 AM

With the road hazard protection,it is free rotation anbd change-over.Ive owned Chevy's all my life and have yet to see a wheel go bad or rust on me.This is dating back to my first new car.an 82 Z-28.A weekly wash job will cover anything that winter can throw out at you.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sandhog
Hello folks,
I have seen quite a few posts concerning snow tires.What is the advantage of going out and buying a whole new set of wheels that makes the vehicle look like hammered down hell for the winter?
16" rims???aw common now.I bought the SS for the way it looks.I live in Orange county NY and commute to Manhattan every morning (80 miles 1 way).I need snows.....I figured I would see a bit of good advice here as I have in the past.
I bought the Dunlop SP Winter Sport in the stock size and installed them on the stock wheels.
Why go through the BS of loosing the TPM's and ruining the looks of the car you just spent $23,000 on?The wheels wont be harmed by any snow removal chemicals,and other than the chance that the wider tires may plow a bit more,how often is the snow that deep anyways?
Is there a real valid reason for this or am i missing something here?
The main reason I did is the 18 inch alloy wheels will take a harder beating than anything on the SS. They take rock hits and damage to the clear coat that degrades the wheel over a few years. Also the rocks ding the aluminum on the wheels too.

Also if you hit a curb it would cost me more than what i paid for the tires wheels and TPM's combined to replace the one wheel.

Changing over is not manditory and is only a choice. You should be fine with what you have but I plan on keeping the SS for 8+ years and I want the wheels to look good in the summer and not have to replace them when they don't have the new look like they used to.

Note too I also get discounts that make this a cheaper option than most others so I take advantage of it.

It is not a have to do thing. When I resell a Vehicle I usallly have several buyers waiting and get to price. My last GMC sold in one day to the fiist looker at my asking price with 10 years 100,000 miles on it.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 PM

Hey Hyper, do you know what stock wheels fit the SS? cobalt, hhr 16", G6 16" its easier for me to go to the salvage yard and pull good used ones. I know the owner so I can get them for a few bucks each.

I just want steel ones
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by stephenm
Hey Hyper, do you know what stock wheels fit the SS? cobalt, hhr 16", G6 16" its easier for me to go to the salvage yard and pull good used ones. I know the owner so I can get them for a few bucks each.

I just want steel ones

Most GM FWD 16 inch wheels will fit over the standard brakes. THe Brembo take a 17 from what I read.

Chevy Malibu, HHR, Cobalt, G6 and other similar cars should work. they all have the same bolt pattern and off sets should be similar.

I am sure someone here may have a list in a thread somewhere the can post.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 AM

I've never bought snow tires for a car in my life, and I've lived in the "snow-belt" for 51 years.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
I've never bought snow tires for a car in my life, and I've lived in the "snow-belt" for 51 years.
Git R Done
Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 AM

I got snows and 16" steel wheels because:

1. I live in the snow belt, about 20 miles from Jeff. Although FWD and modern radials do a respectable job in the snow, a set of 4 Blizzaks made a believer out of me. Yes, and I grew up with rear wheel drive, no posi, bias ply winters. I survived intact, but it frequently sucked.

2. The cost of switching tires out on the factory wheels pays for the steelies after 2 seasons, not to mention what all that road salt does to the aluminum wheels.

3. In winter, small innocent looking puddles are actually 8 inch deep, wheel-destroying chuckholes from hell disguised as small innocent looking puddles. The low profile stockers don't stand a chance.

4. I'm not that hung up on maintaining the appearance of the factory 18's in the middle of February. If I were, I would have gotten a second set of something with a little more bling. As it is, the black steelies don't look bad against the black car. Murdered out, man.

5. I don't give a rat's ass about TPMS. Contrary to the US Congress, DOT, NHTSA, and other nannies, I miraculously survived 37 years of driving without it. I own a pressure gauge and I'm not afraid to use it.

Quick Reply: Snow tires on SS