Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire Sensor Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Tire Sensor Help

Last winter I installed studded snows on Malibu wheels that didn't have the tire sensors. The idiot light drove me crazy as well as the "alarm". This year I purchased a set of sensors from a vendor on ebay, they were the correct numbers for both HHR and Maibu and took my wheels over to a garage that does my "out of warranty" stuff. The guy told me I would have to have the HHR learn the new sensors with the calibration tool, I couldn't calibrate them using the instructions I always used when i rotated the tires, that I would have the HHR "relearn" the sensors every spring and fall when I switched sets of tires.

Is this true?

I guess one of the reasons I question this is when I ran the snows last winter, if I parked next to a girl at work, the HHR would indicate pressure in the tires on the side next to her parked vehicle. It would read her sensors.

If this is correct, I guess I don't mind paying the guy. Just don't want him to get more than he is owed.

Thanks, Bear
Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 PM

I have sensors on my aftermarket and winter wheels and I just re-learn them using the user manual instructions with no problem. When you do this make sure the tires are cool. I tried this once after I drove on them. It took me a minute to realize the PSI was changing as the tires were cooling off.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM

on a 2011 the manual says a tool is required to relearn. is this true? dealership didnt reset mine.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 PM

I have a 2011 and replaced the factory tires with a new set of rims, tires and sensors. The procedure in the owners manual worked just fine. When I had the tires rotated a couple of weeks ago I used the procedure again with no problem. Hopes this helps.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 AM

It is that easy. Most tire dealers do use the scan tool to set TPMS but some of them charge ridiculous prices to install and set sensors. TPMS is standard equipment now and not complicated, but some shops charge extra like it's rocket science..
Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 AM

The original tire stores wanted around $600 to sell and install them. A couple places (tire stores) didn't have any interest. That is why I reseached the part number, bought them off ebay vendor for $95 shipped. And have a shop break the bead and stick them in. I think that part will be pretty cheap, great guy, just don't think he knows it can be done without scan tool.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 AM

Got the winter tires and new sensors installed and calibrated without problem. Ready for rain/snow mix tonight. Bear
Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Good job on not getting ripped off zbear!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM

We've always used this procedure and followed it to the letter for setting the TPMS sensors on my 2008 HHR SS and my son's 2009 Cobalt LT. We've never had a problem with it and it works flawlessly:

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.

3. Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter’s LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.

4. Start with the driver side front tire. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner’s sensor is ready to be learned.

5. Remove the valve cap from the tire’s valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.

6. The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

7. The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

8. The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

9. After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF. If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.