Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

TPMS and New Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Question TPMS and New Wheels/Tires

I've got a new (used) set of 18" wheels with tires already mounted and ready to be bolted on the HHR. Now my quandery is the TPMS sensors.

I've never had to deal with TPMS before and dont know the process to move the sensors to the new wheels/tires, if even possible. The TPMS sensors are still basically 'new' and perfectly functional so I dont see much point in just buying new ones. I'd rather transfer them myself while swapping out the wheels, if able to.

So, what is the process for transfering the sensors and where exactly are they located on the wheel or tire? (Diagrams would be more than awesome!) Thanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 PM

The TPMS sensors for the HHR is part of the valve stem. Swapping them can be done, but the chance of damaging them is high. They are not that bad price wise. And the reset is easy.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM

The chance of damaging the sensors is low actually. The valve stems might be able to be reused once, but if they do get damaged they are only about $4 each as apposed to getting new sensors. I'm on my third set of wheels and they're still working fine.

Here's an older post with some info about the valve stems and a couple pictures.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...58&postcount=3

Name:  sensor_1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  sensor_4.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  39.6 KB
Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM

Thanks!

Great pictures, helps tremendously. Did more digging on the web and think I've got the gist here. If I just break the first bead on all the tires and remove the sensor (carefully) and reinstall on the new wheels do you think the new set will need rebalancing for the additional weight?

Oh, and low profile tires will be compatible with these sensors - i.e. enough room in there for them?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Hmm I didn't know there was something under the tire. So wait is this on all the hhr's? Im going to be putting my cobalt wheels on soon. But im just going to do it at discount tires . So I guess I don't have to deal with it.

But still I guess good stuff to know here
Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ecaryn
If I just break the first bead on all the tires and remove the sensor (carefully) and reinstall on the new wheels do you think the new set will need rebalancing for the additional weight?

Oh, and low profile tires will be compatible with these sensors - i.e. enough room in there for them?
Are there tires on the new wheels already? I would balance the wheels either way though.

Low profile tires will be fine. As you can see in the pictures, they sit right against the wheel.

The sensors are on 2008+ only, Mr. Fetus.