Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

what snow tires do you run your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Just an FYI for anyone wondering if you can use studded snows in NY-You are allowed.

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/equi-vt.htm
Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM

I just wanted to report back and say that the ipike w409 directional snows are working out very well
Even in a bad snow storm it went right through the snow slush etc.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM
geg

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Just an FYI for anyone wondering if you can use studded snows in NY-You are allowed.

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/equi-vt.htm
If I imagine New York's climate - studded tires are not the best.
The spikes do not affect the permeability of the car. When a snow storm and snow on the road, you need a "toothy" protector, large bumps and wide / deep groove drainage. Rubber bumps "raking" and grind a snow, developed grooves efficiently derive snow and moisture out of the contact patch.
The spikes are responsible for exchange rate stability on ice and packed snow. As far as I know, ice and packed snow - a rare phenomenon on the New York streets. Wet and dirty asphalt is the daily reality of winter. Under such conditions, studded tires are useless, sometimes harmful. Metal spike unable to break through the asphalt, it glides over the surface. In addition, it prevents fully pressed to the asphalt of rubber protector. The effect of poor adhesion, as a heeled cow on the marble floor.
If you want studded tires - not worth saving. Choose a major manufacturer and equipment spines in the factory. More likely that the wear of spike and wear of rubber protector the uniform over time. If I were to use spikes, I'll buy Nokian Hakkapelita.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 AM

As far as snow goes in new York it depends on your location where I am we will get about 150" per season
Just north of me in a small town called red field they will get an annual average of 22 feet or 264"
So I guess it depends on where you live in ny and how far and fast you travel in the winter.
I have run studded snows in the past and I agree it feels like you are on ball bearings on dry pavement but it did work well on the snow and ice covered roads
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 AM
geg

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
As far as snow goes in new York it depends on your location where I am we will get about 150" per season
Just north of me in a small town called red field they will get an annual average of 22 feet or 264"
So I guess it depends on where you live in ny and how far and fast you travel in the winter.
I have run studded snows in the past and I agree it feels like you are on ball bearings on dry pavement but it did work well on the snow and ice covered roads
I agree with you. Tire's choice depends on the conditions and geography of the car's using.

By the way, I mean New York City (I'm sorry for the unintentional misrepresentation).
Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by geg
I agree with you. Tire's choice depends on the conditions and geography of the car's using.

By the way, I mean New York City (I'm sorry for the unintentional misrepresentation).
No problem
When I tell people I am from new York they usually just assume new York city